David's yet to be named thread

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Dropped her off for a grind and edge last night. The girl in the shop told me it looks brand new so won't need it "they do that in the factory". Explaining to someone that you actually made this in your shed, pretty awesome feeling hey!
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hi Guys,
So I am going to start on my next board. Thought I would try something a bitm more cutting edge this time. It may end in a pile of gooey trash.. Who knows till you have a go.

So I have been mocking up on CAD and am going for something like this.\

It's basing it on this kinda thing but with a bataleon esque nose and tail. I posted this pic a while ago.
http://www.neversummer.com/images/never ... lained.jpg
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Cutting edge is exactly what I'd call that! those contact points will want to cut into everything, be very catchy and generally unpleasant to ride IMO.
Do anything you want with the shape but keep the contact points smooth
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Konichiwa Gozaimaas San
I think I got carried away on the agressive radius at the tip and tail. I might calm that down a little. I was thinking something like a 5 metre radius.

If you look a the Never summer board design I am looking at they have a similar setup. I have looked at the boards in the store but haven't ridden one. I have read reviews about them and hear good things. Any suggestions to fix this up Goz? New to all this stuff still.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

What are you trying to achieve with this board? Park? Powder? All mountain?
It looks like a park-rail board to me. Be wary following NS, they are living in the past IMO.
Rocker profile looks sweet, similar to what I use and have awesome success with.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

I like all mountain boards mostly. I have always liked NS. My second boards was a legacy, back when boots being huge meant I had to ride wide boards. I know what you mean but I reckon they have done better in the last few seasons. I am not that up to date though so who knows.

Do you use rocker camber as well or just rocker?
I will rethink the side cut a bit and see how it goes. I am excited about this next build. All the things that went a little whacky in the first build will get fixed and I hope i can wrestle some control back from the process!
Domo Arigatou man.
David
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

I use rocker camber. I draw my boards and profiles by hand now (with the use of my radii templtes), its much easier for one off designs.

For my camber profile I draw a line the length of the board and mark the nose, contact points, centre of bindings and tail. Between the centre of binding (cob) marks I use my 8m radius template to mark the rocker, then mark the camber from cob to the contact points.
The camber finishes below the line the same amount as the rocker at its lowest point so the board is effectively flat from contact point-centre of rocker-contact point. When loaded this gives a very aggressive bite from the camber sections which I really enjoy.
If you dont want so much bite make the camber sections finish at the line rather than beneath it.

Hopefully you can make some sense of that mate!
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

So I dropped my board off last week to get a base grind at AUSKI here in Melbourne. They did a real nice job. I was going to get a stick of ptex to fill in a couple of minor gaps between the edge and the base. Really small ones, still wanted to fill them though. The store had already done this for me and didn't charge anything more. That is pretty cool.
I also cut open some of the air bubbles in the veneer that had been annoying me. Filled them with glue and pressed them with some clamps and a block of wood. Sanded, revarnished and they came up a treat.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

that board shape and tip shape is nice, just mellow out those corners considerably, and start your nose/tail rise a couple cm before those points and you'll be good, might also want to consider a mellower rocker/camber curve as well. but you'll have to see what your press does, and adjust accordingly.
Doug
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hi Guys,
Well I am starting to look at making another board, possibly 2. I was going to try out something fancy but thought it might be better to get some more use out of my current mold and so forth.
These ones will be about improving my technique and trying out some new things.
I want to do one with a bamboo top sheet because I think they look killer and another with a millers sublam topsheet. I am in discussions with an artistic friend of mine who is going to draw me up something. I also want to pour polyurethane sidewalls.

I might even push my skills envelope and try for a splitty. That is what got me into looking at building my own board in the first place.

I have picked up some poplar and am looking for another hardwood to match this with in my core. Being a cheap ass I have been looking on http://www.salvagebazaar.com.au for something to use.

Tassie Oak, Wandoo, Cherry etc.

Was also thinking about trying out some aged merbeau. from the timber recyclers.
Ohh, and I am gonna try and write up what I do in the form of a blog...

www.boardsofprey.wordpress.com
Yeah, I know, pretty cool title hey... I thought it up all on my own :)
climberman

Post by climberman »

Thanks for the salvage website Dave.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

I read something on here the other day about resin crystallization. I have 2 litres of resin that went solid and thought I had stuffed it up. I checked out the entropy site and they talk about how to reverse it. Excited to see if I can fix it. we don't have a microwave so I will heat up some water and sit it in it. Pretty good news seeing that 3 litres is about 130 dollars in Australia.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

A soak in a nice bucket of hot water will bring it all back. You can also heat it up with a heat gun, but the hot water works better and is a little more hands-off.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hey all,
I have soaked my Resin salt lick in some hot water and, like magic it's back to a perfect consistency. I don't know if you guys appreciate how awesome happy this makes me.

I went and picked out some timber for my board. I was thinking wandoo but remembered that I am going to be using PU for the side walls. I have gone with Tassie Oak and Poplar.

A quick question for you all. I am using some recycled timber. Used floor boards. Would you fill the nail holes with anything or just leave them and let the epoxy fill them up I was thinking I could fill with PU
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hi Guys,
Ohh man, I have been so lazy updating this.. and board building in general. will upload some pics now.

I have a board ready to press but have been flat out for the last few months. I have even poured my sidewalls this time!

Booked in to do a screen printing 1 day course on the weekend so hopefully I will get some skills that will help me tart up my boards a bit

The weekends I have had free I have spent either at the snow riding, at the snow volunteering or doing stuff with my girlfriend.

I went telemarking for the first time in my life a few weeks ago. I have alpine skied once before, for about 2 hours... I rented telemark ski's and taught myself how to parallel turn from open till noon (at Falls creek) and then got a lesson. The instructor looked horrified when I said that today was pretty much my first day on ski's. When we did a run he was pleasantly suprised at my level of non-suck. I really enjoyed the day and have a lot to work on. The tele lunge is very different to what I expected as I thought it would be like a regular gym lunge.
I want a tele setup now. Anyone got any cheap stuff they will sell me :)