David's yet to be named thread

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

knightsofnii wrote:eh, my math tells me i get about 40 boards per 5gal / 1gal hardner setup.

since its 4/1 it takes a little more hardener, like an extra quart.

350 I think i paid for my last shipment. 8.75 per board.

And yes every order is a 25 dollar hazmat... so just order more to make it worth it ;)
I was getting about 5 pair of skis out of a 1gal kit (1gal resin 1qt hardener) from QCM/Forrester. You're extremely efficient!
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

I was going on the assumption that I would use approx 750 grams per board. Up until very recently entropy only had one distributor in Australia. We now have two. Looking at the jamestown distributors site it would cost 120 plus postage to get a gallon of 100 resin and a quart of hardener so with postage it would be more. Costly. If anyone has a cheaper way I am all ears (like our shadow prime minister)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I'm maybe 1.5hr from jamestown distributor, which is at the opposite side of the planet from you. What are your distributors charging? Entropy's home base is in California I think, closer than Jamestown Dist...... I bet it's still expensive to ship for Cali.
falls

Post by falls »

$40 a board/pair of skis for epoxy is the unfortunate reality of small volume building here in Australia. My last 5kg kit was $250 shipped and will prob do 5 pairs.
Australian prices are pretty high for everything, but our general wages are higher than the US. So in the end we earn our money then buy everything over the net from America :)
Hazardous goods and sea shipping probably preclude epoxy purchases from this though unless you are buying multi 1000kg kits at once.
I got a quote from New Zealand to ship epoxy and the minimum hazardous shipping was 1 cubic metre for $500. I didn't need the 1000kg of epoxy I could fit in the 1 cubic metre though :) I imagine sea shipping from the USA would cost a lot more.
I contacted entropy a few years ago about getting their epoxy here but there was no distributor. Looks like I missed another business opportunity!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

West systems 105 and 206 would be aud 24.00 a board
Entropy 1000/100 would be aud38.00 a board.
Is entropy that much better?
falls

Post by falls »

For me I would spend the extra on the entropy. It is designed for use in sporting goods where west is more for more rigid things like boats. Plus it's better for you and the planet.
In the future I could be persuaded to share a bigger kit for the savings, but I have too much epoxy already at present.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

skidesmond wrote:
knightsofnii wrote:eh, my math tells me i get about 40 boards per 5gal / 1gal hardner setup.

since its 4/1 it takes a little more hardener, like an extra quart.

350 I think i paid for my last shipment. 8.75 per board.

And yes every order is a 25 dollar hazmat... so just order more to make it worth it ;)
I was getting about 5 pair of skis out of a 1gal kit (1gal resin 1qt hardener) from QCM/Forrester. You're extremely efficient!

I pour 16 oz resin and 4 oz hardener. But we're about to step it up to more.
Doug
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hi Guys,
So I finished off my router bridge and rails setup today. I gave it a burl on some pine I had and it worked pretty well.
I need to look at a better way to secure it to the bench. I used spray adhesive with an mdf board underneath. The mdf stuck great but the pine not so much. I used clamps on the end but these got in the way a fair amount when I was routing. The other sucky thing was that the pine was thicker than a blank would be so it sat higher than my rails. I just router planed it down a bit and it was ok. Bit fiddly though. I got it so the tip and tails are about 2 mil which is pretty much what I am looking for. I flexed it mucking around (trying to be like the guy in the red overalls in the pics on the start of the site that cycle through) and it snapped in half... ohh well. Only shitty, knotty pine.
I am going to order a box of vertically laminated bamboo floorboards this week and will have a go at gluing them all together.
David
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

I just went through the fun of making my router bridge to work as well. Try hot glue to hold down the wood, and to make it a thinner thickness run it through a table saw prior to attaching it to the table.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Spray glue works great for some things, but you don't want it on something going in your ski. You might cover the bottom in masking tape or something, and then spray glue that down (that is basically how I do things on my cnc router when I am profiling and can't have clamps in the way)
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input. I will grab a hot glue gun this week I think. I was avoiding it as I thought they are exxy but they are fairly cheap.
Need to buy a shop vac and maybe some goggles. I have been using safety glasses and these don't stop sawdust sticking to my eyeballs. I have pretty red eyes today. Just what you need for a Monday morning at work...
David
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

the.quass wrote:Hey guys,
Thanks for the input. I will grab a hot glue gun this week I think. I was avoiding it as I thought they are exxy but they are fairly cheap.
Need to buy a shop vac and maybe some goggles. I have been using safety glasses and these don't stop sawdust sticking to my eyeballs. I have pretty red eyes today. Just what you need for a Monday morning at work...
David
I suggest face shield instead of goggles much more versatile and you can wear respirator under it
http://www.mcmaster.com/#face-shields/=mjdwxf
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

If you like your eyes and lungs, just get one of these shield respirator combos.

Expensive but you'll never regret it.

Made by 3M

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Dr. Delam wrote:If you like your eyes and lungs, just get one of these shield respirator combos.

Expensive but you'll never regret it.

Made by 3M
for woodworking full face respirator over kill, bulky and heavy to wear no fun to spend the day in it. just to be clear I have all three fullface one, 1/2 face respirator and face shield. Never funding needs yet to use fullface respirator
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

MadRussian wrote: Never funding needs yet to use fullface respirator
Wear it when you trim flashing. I don't have one, but it's been on my want list for a long time. I wear glasses and a respirator, but the exposed skin gets pretty itchy afterwards.