Die Cut Machines

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Die Cut Machines

Post by skidesmond »

Anyone using a die cut machine for graphics/logos, etc.? I'm looking for something that can die cut vinyl lettering, maybe thin wood veneer and mother of pearl. I've searched the internet so I know there are vinyl cutters out there for under $300 that look like they would do the job, don't know if they can handle wood veneer (1/42inch thickness) or mother of pearl (.015mm - .12mm) since both materials are brittle.

Not looking for big CNC machine for die cutting base material.

Just wondering what other people might be using.
hegan

Post by hegan »

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but you will go through blades fast cutting those materials.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The die cutters I've seen on the internet all cut paper, vinyl and heavy card stock. Some are capable of making multiple passes to cut through the materiual, that's the the type I'm eying.

http://www.joann.com/provo-craft-cricut ... 11180452a/
hegan

Post by hegan »

Those I'm not to sure about, I say just use an exacto knife with an outline. Those die cutters blades are just mini knifes. might take more time but it beats spending a lot on a cutter that might or might not work.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yea, read the reviews on that one and most were bad.
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

Who all is doing die cut bases by hand? I am going to do one in my next pair of skis, wondering if anyone has some good DIY tips. The xacto knife I have sucks and needs new blades. So I actually just freehanded the cut with a utility knife. I am cutting a lot of rounded corners and tight curves, so it was pretty difficult. Thanks
TylerTrima

Re: Die Cut Machines

Post by TylerTrima »

@skidesmond which one did you end up buying? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the market for a vinyl cutter and I sure could use some help. Where did you get started? Because there are a number to choose from. At the moment I don't want to shell out a lot of money so I was looking at desktop vinyl cutters. I've got tired of all the hype reviews that were on the net. And actually managed to find one that seems legit. On this web-site I've found a review that was critical. It actually showed the flaws of each machines. What do you think which one would be better.

Any help is appreciated
Dodwood

Post by Dodwood »

Hi, this cricut machine looks interesting, wonder if it's good as it looks.
https://cricut.com/en_us/cricut-maker?_ ... 1589391402
still

Post by still »

Dodwood wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:12 am Hi, this cricut machine looks interesting, wonder if it's good as it looks.
https://cricut.com/en_us/cricut-maker?_ga=2.121263048.1553777534.1589391402-602624242.1589391402
For me, it works well. Pretty simple to use, no need to have extra skills