West System G/Flex

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hegan

West System G/Flex

Post by hegan »

Been using West System 105 and 206. Went in to a marine store the other day and came upon G/Flex and it seems pretty easy to use 1:1 ratio, it comes in tube, and is has a larger flex than 105/206 which is good for the type of skiing I do. Best part for the picture below is $21.99 a lot cheaper than 105/206. Just seeing if anyone on here has tried using it for making skis/snowboards any info or feedback would be great.

ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

looks like that $22 kit is only for 8oz, somewhere around a third of what a lot of people use to layup. My guess is that its also a lot thicker than other resins and layup would be difficult. Definitely strong, just might be expensive and difficult to use
hegan

Post by hegan »

Well one ski take about 450grams of epoxy. I have found 32oz or 900 grams for 50 bucks online so that is a set of skis done for 50 bucks.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

even the most expensive epoxy, entropy, will run you about 20 bucks per pair so I dont know what you are smoking.
dont use the gflex to lay up a full laminate. silly.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
hegan

Post by hegan »

Yeah not going that way, going to keep buying a Quart of 105 and a pint of 206. Which is still about 50 bucks per ski.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Their website says its for bonding plastics, like repairs. Not sure if its applicable in ski building...