flex pattern

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

goneskiing

flex pattern

Post by goneskiing »

Hey guys, I'm having some lousy results here with my flex pattern. I'm having my sixth attempt at a solid, backcountry 4 dimensional touring ski. it's got 40 cm early rocker, and the sidecut radius runs about 10 cm up the rocker before narrowing to the tip. The tail is just a standard, low rise tip. My question is, when you guys say that you have something like a profile with 2mm tips, and 11mm underfoot, are you literally just doing one large taper from tip, to underfoot, and back to tail? I suppose it would be self explanatory with a standard sidecut/camber ski, but I'm getting some lousy results here in my flex pattern. Floppy tips and strong camber, strong tips and floppy camber, but never nice and steady throughout. I really don't want to use composites to compensate a lousy core. guess I'm just trying to pick your brains on where you pull your points from and what you keep in mind when designing such core profiles. Thanks guys, anything is much appreciated.