Living-room project... CNC !

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

What did that 2x8 kit cost? Don't see it on their site.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

knightsofnii wrote:how's that CNC workin out?
I just ordered a 2' x 8' from cncrouterparts with nema23's.

PS what software are you guys using?
My kit ordered comes with Mach 3. Was considering vectric Cut3d for making the toolpaths. I do have Aspire, but its on an old laptop and the software is not actually my own.
I use ViaCAD for sketching parts. Another partner is also an autocad expert.
Progress is slow with a baby at home, I can't even say it's because I ski too much ! I've made my first cuts (a dust shoe) but I still have some stuff to take care off : limit/homing switches, gantry auto-squaring routine, make a better "auto Z-zero" tool, cable management, controller enclosure...

As far as software goes I have Mach3 to run the machine. CAD is done on Catia or AutoCAD depending on what I'm doing, CAM software is CamBam : pretty cheap and it was actually the first CAM software I was comfortable with... I tried a few, Cam Bam is not the easiest for 3D cutting but I'm sure it'll get the job done !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I still haven't gotten around to putting limit/homing switches on my machine. It's never been an issue, but I'm always extra careful about making sure my cutting routines won't run the machine off the end (I don't even have hard stops on the long, x, axis... it could literally drive the entire gantry off the frame)
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

FigmentOriginal wrote:What did that 2x8 kit cost? Don't see it on their site.
$5080.XX total.
It's a custom configuration, basically the side rail kit from the 4x8, with the gantry kit and sideways extrustions from the 2x4 kit.

Reason being is space, and power to weight for motors.
The 4' wide gantry is a lot heavier, and was suggested if i get that then i should run nema 34 system which is an extra 2000 bucks, and the frame is an extra few hundred.

Oh I also got ballscrew Z upgrade. And they're also finalizing a new system with v groove bearing motion, but i didn't get that and no telling when its gonna come out.
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

just received 80% of my cnc kit, just waiting on the long extrusions which are coming via freight. stoked to get this thing built!! :)
Doug
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Zo that was your total with shipping? Where do they send from?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

they're in washington, the extrusions come from the 8020 (or whatever the number is) factory itself, they just specify the order and the factory cuts and drills and taps the pieces then sends to customer via conway.
Shipping was about 300 bucks and was included in that total above.
PS the nema23 motors are TINY, i hope they get the job done.
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

so if you're considering a machine, your shipping cost may be cheaper, this was coast to coast shipping from WA to NJ
Doug
Jibber

Post by Jibber »

Nema23 is big enoug. If you need high speeds they are the wrong choice but they have plenty of power in my opinion.

Christoph
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

as long as they have enough strength to hold good tolerances and power everything, i'm happy, no need for production speed yet
Doug
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Congrats Doug! What is the holding torque on your motors? The nema23s I have on my machine are 395ozin. I don't have a good feel for what is adequate vs overkill vs insufficient... But these have been great for everything, including some deep cuts. My 2hp router seems to be the weak point for very aggressive cuts.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

sounds like the torque on what i got, id have to look it up.
Here's what she looks like so far... gotta do some adjusting to get it to flow smoothly but so far so good :)

Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

my cnc is up and running :). I havent actually cut anything with it, just been doing dry runs with the router off to make sure its going to do what I tell it too. Still learning to use the software. Next on deck is to cut some simple shapes, maybe a mold file, and add the cable tracks and dust collection :).
Doug
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I didn't give much news but mine is running too... I'm just too much into mountain biking right now to compensate for the lack of skiing last winter so I don't spend much time in the shop.

I didn't cut anything really ski-related yet but I've cut an enclosure box for my controller out of 1/4" plywood, I've cut (and am still cutting) a few iterations of a dust shoe, I'm pretty sure the next one will be good :p. Aslo cut various parts to improve or upgrade the machine (micro-enclosures for my DIY homing switches, various brackets, small stuff like that.)

Everytime I go to the shop I want to take some pics and eventually a small video.. but always forget :( Sorry !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Well done, looks like its gonna be a great machine. Keep up the good work!