Living-room project... CNC !

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Dude.... gorgeous machine!!! That's going to work like a champ! I am re-living the excitement I had when at this stage with my machine! I bet you can't wait to fire it up!
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

you bet ! no overtime today that's for sure !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

ben_mtl wrote:For now I'm a bit over $3000... but I had a few parts that I had made twice (some for my mistakes, some due to super-loose tolerances in the manufacturing). + a bunch of screws and smll items from McMaster that I bought but won't need...
I think I'll be at $3500 at the end (not incuding the computer and the software).

I'm pretty sure if I had to build a new one, from what I learned and what not to do I would get it for $2500 max.
Thanks! Good to know!
Jibber

Post by Jibber »

Nice project and really cheap in my opinion!

Will you add more cross-members to the frame? I would do that and then close it top and bottom with an OSB sheet and you will get a rigid torsion box. Thats at least what the cnc guys told me to do.

Cheers Christoph
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

you must have it fully squared and calibrated before you "close it off" though with that top sheet of ply. otherwise you'd have to take that all off again.
That looks like the cncrouterparts standard 4896 kit.
Doug
Jibber

Post by Jibber »

knightsofnii wrote:you must have it fully squared and calibrated before you "close it off" though with that top sheet of ply. otherwise you'd have to take that all off again.
That looks like the cncrouterparts standard 4896 kit.
Mostly cncrouterparts with some "metric" modifications ;) With this machine the alignment must not be 100%, there is some play in the rails to square it.

But anyhow I don't want to hijack this thread. Just wanted to suggest to add some stiffness.

Cheers, Christoph
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Man!!!! Wow!
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Great work!! :D
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Cross-members are on the list. They're not on the machine yet as it's part of the items I screwed up with (had them made at the wrong length).
Only difference is the torsion box wont be part of the frame, it's gonna be sitting on the cross-members.

Today I plugged everything on the computer ! It's alive !
Sooo happy ! :)

I'll work on some G-code tomorrow to "break-in" the machine, I might post a video after that !
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

Man gotta say ben this thread has me SO pumped! It's not even my project!!! haha :D
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Yep - stand back and make ready the applause! ;)
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

All right folks, I have to say I've never been that stoked for something not snow or mountain bike related !

It's alive !

I wrote a small g-code during lunch time at work today, loaded it in Mach3 as soon as I got home... took the camera, press "REC", hit the start button on Mach3.... here is the result !

If the video quality is bad, just switch to HD (or at least 480p)

the sound of the machine is kinda weird sometimes.. I still have to adjust my bearings more precisely and all that fine tuning stuff.

I was able to jog the machine at 400ipm on X and 300ipm on Y, no problem !
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Man, the sound of that thing is music to my ears :) Well done Ben, seriously great job. You've joined an elite club 8)
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

So fk"n sweet. Man with the time put in I am glad to see well deserved results Ben. My buddies have A Cnc and hook us up with very cheap work. I could not imagine going back to the hand/eye/hope method of cutting. Great job man!
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Thanks guys !

Honnestly the time put in it wasn't so bad... the problem was the time waiting for parts, wiaiting for orders to be delivered and all that kind of "idle" time... the actual time spent on building might be between 15 and 20 hours so far !

Tomorrow I should receive the router mount + a few limit switches... I have to start adjusting the machine now and stop playing with it :p... I'll have plenty of time to play after it's adjusted... Oh and yeah I also need to be quick on adjusting because I can't wait to have all those steel parts powder coated !!!