Divide Rides

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

Good one dtrain.
Is that cork for tip and tail spacers?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

falls wrote:Good one dtrain.
Is that cork for tip and tail spacers?
Yes sir! First time trying it. Saw the baguette snowboard guys doing it and Desmond! figured I’d try! 2.5mm and 4mm I found at local hardware store for $5 a sheet 24�x24�. Common carpet underlay! Perfect thicknesses to work around! Easy to cut too. Might be more prone to gauging on impacts, but I guess I’ll find out. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again....we only deep fresh around here🤥
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

That hose you're using is huge!! May I ask what width it is and where you bought it?
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

chrismp wrote:That hose you're using is huge!! May I ask what width it is and where you bought it?
It’s 12� fully inflated. Lays 19� across when flat. I bought it in Quebec , Canada. Can’t remeber the business name? Figured it would press 3D shapes with no cattrack and an appropriate mold, but I never got there yet🙄
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Flashed her up. Pressed her on October 17th to celebrate the end of cannabis prohibition here in Canada!

156.4 cm/8m sidecut
325-280-305
Camber between inserts

Nylon top
Leaf
21 ounce triax basalt
Bamboo/paulownia core w/cork spacers and bamboo walls
21 ounce triax basalt
4 ounce uni carbon
Edge/4001 crown base

[/img]Image
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Nice. Hows the weight compared to a non basalt board?

Btw. Your thread has 100k+ views! Respect :)
Tom
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

mammuth wrote:Nice. Hows the weight compared to a non basalt board?

Btw. Your thread has 100k+ views! Respect :)

Not as light as a full carbon stick, but the paulownia made the core soft as a wet noodle. I should have left it thicker, which is why I added the full layer of UNI in there!

2780g/6.128lbs

derek
falls

Post by falls »

looks great
Did you build the cores or buy them?
I had a guy on instagram trying to sell me paulownia or paulownia bamboo cores out of china recently.
http://www.dmsjx.com/Products/Snowboard ... es/58.html
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

falls wrote:looks great
Did you build the cores or buy them?
I had a guy on instagram trying to sell me paulownia or paulownia bamboo cores out of china recently.
http://www.dmsjx.com/Products/Snowboard ... es/58.html

Made it. Bought a few pieces. Light as shit, but complete garbage wood. Like 4-7 grains an inch. I was on “light train� for a while� but I’m over it! I’m just use red cedar if I need to shake weight. If it was cheap and you didn’t need to buy a few cubic meters min. It’s worth trying. The industry uses it because it’s light and cheap and already in china
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

2780grams is still a light board. Did it come out quite flexible though? Did you seal the core beforehand to try to stop the paulownia soaking up a heap of resin?

I usually like a board for myself to be about 2900 grams so it still rides solid. Surprised you dont use a lot of red cedar as it must be so easy to get over your way.
We used to have heaps of Paulownia plantations over here but they all went bust.

Its a great looking board. I llike the basic black with the leaf, goes well with the natural sidewalls.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

gav wa wrote:2780grams is still a light board. Did it come out quite flexible though? Did you seal the core beforehand to try to stop the paulownia soaking up a heap of resin?

I usually like a board for myself to be about 2900 grams so it still rides solid. Surprised you dont use a lot of red cedar as it must be so easy to get over your way.
We used to have heaps of Paulownia plantations over here but they all went bust.

Its a great looking board. I llike the basic black with the leaf, goes well with the natural sidewalls.

didn't seal! and ya it sucked up a butt load of resin. I could literaly watch it absororb! red cedar is great and readily available, I am sitting on piles of it here in the shop. I am partial to yellow cedar though. little heavier, but it cuts and planes and sands like nothing else Ive handled. and the smell is amazing. I have some pieces with almost 100 years of growth an inch! if anybody gets a chance to aquire some, I would heavily recommend it! not sure it i posted them in past journal entry, but i did make a couple splitboard cores out of single pieces of yellow cedar. that was awsome.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Deleted
Last edited by Dtrain on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
fred

Post by fred »

@chrismp, I sent you a pm concerning some large diameter hose
the.quass

Re:

Post by the.quass »

Dtrain wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:04 pm Always wanted to timelapse. Think I used this old first gem go pro only a handful of times since new lol.

Rancid - Rancid (2000) is such a great Album. One of my favourites of theirs.
D
Dtrain

Re: Divide Rides

Post by Dtrain »

Well here is a few thing I did this last summer/fall. 142cm pow skis for a buddies daughter, and a new directional stick for another buddies son.

I’m gonna try to get more active on here again. I want to dedicate more time to this hobby which has brought me so much joy in the past. Lately I haven’t had much time to get it all done. I’ve been doing some soul searching and realizing I need to work on getting the balance right. When I started this this hobby I would work on stuff all daylong all night long. After the wife and kids happened it shifted to just all night long. Then my two building buddies had their lives move into different direction, and staying up all night drinking beers and building shit just wasn’t happening anymore! FK me, I’m getting old, I’m getting responsibilities aggggghh. I blinked and it just happened. I’m starting to tell stories about “that time a while back” then buddies says “ya that was 8 years ago”. Laugh out fkn loud . 12 boards this summer/fall is my goal. I’m coming back baby. I wanna press, not stress!