Divide Rides

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Thanks Falls . Just pulled another out.
Sitka/Yellow cedar
Triax basalt / carbon tow
Figured walnut topsheet

[/img]Image
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

That looks like a fair bit of resin squeeze out bro, what resin to glass ratio do you start at?

Oh and they both look sweet as too ;)
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Sick veneer
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I use about 1:1. 2x12.5" pieces of triax basalt weight 800grams @ 165cms . I will admit that we probably leave a little 2 much on the base prior to first layer, and on top of the wood topsheets. There's always table waste too as I wet out separate and then place.

Guys on here have made claims of only using 350 grams for a board, or say if resin is hittin the floor, your using too much. That's all bs.

I have recently thought of trying to use a little less, and letting the resin start to "gel" at a lower pressure, before squishing to full pressure. This would eliminate a lot of squeeze out.

Some of the ski scientist guys that rarley post pics of anything may chime in here with the "proper" way to distribute resin. Haha
vinman

Post by vinman »

I also start out with 1 to 1 as measured by the total weight of the FG.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Yeah I use a 1:1 ratio too and dont get as much squeeze out. That's why I asked.

Your obviously getting good results so what your doing is working.

I think my pine core material soaks up a fair bit though as I've had more squeeze out on the full bamboo core I did previously.

I don't know how anyone could build a board with 350 grams of resin.
vinman

Post by vinman »

yeah I usually make pre-measure 4 batches of 200g resin and a 100g batch just in case. with hardener for Entropy CPM that comes out just under 1300g of mixed epoxy. My composite usually weighs out around 1000g. 2 length of 12.5' wide 22 oz triax plus biax binding mats plus I have to add some in for top coating the veneer. There is almost always some waste and I get a fair amount of squeeze out. But I'd rather have a slightly resin rich composite vs. a dry composite. 350g of mixed epoxy barely wets out a single layer of glass.
falls

Post by falls »

I use 4 x 250g mixed cups + 3 x 125g mixed cups usually for a 180cm+ length. Even with that much I sometimes feel like the glass could absorb a bit more (ie. look a bit wetter).

I usually press to 50psi in the bags immediately and turn the heat on too. But my heating program heats to 80C over 30 minutes. Lately I have been wondering if I should be heating more rapidly to get the epoxy to cure rapidly rather than warm up, get runny and press out before it sets. The last pair I made with clear topsheet I could see the glass fibre pattern quite clearly (whitish - epsecially where over the top of the carbon fibre) even with a more than 1:1 ratio of epoxy to glass when wet out.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
vinman

Post by vinman »

Falls I pressureize to 60 psi and hold that for 5 min without heat to let he epoxy kind of flow without heat, then I hit the heat and ramp to temp of 180f. This takes about 5-8 min. I get runny squeeze out for about 5-10 min before the epoxy gels. I get nice flat bases this way. I've had 0 delams in 45 pair with this method.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Been a while since I posted. We've been working hard pumping stuff out as fast as we can. Figured Id share this as it's out of our ordinary realm!

Pressed a board for my kid.
84cm
Core thickness 1.5-5-3-5-1.5
Bottom glass 9oz uni
Top glass 9oz 90deg
Core sitka spruce
Base black sintered
Topsheet yew wood veneer
Full urethane sidewall

Idea was cool the top faster and have the 90 degree glass pull the board
Convex for a catch free base for the kid. Absolute success. His bindings may flatten it out a little. Little tricky to grind, but no issues. First snowboard with full wrap edge

[/img]Image
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
pmg

Post by pmg »

nice work! Like the idea of getting it convex this way. And the new owner looks super happy :)
Dream

Post by Dream »

You guys are doing some awesome and inspiring stuff!
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Dream wrote:You guys are doing some awesome and inspiring stuff!
I'd like to think the three of us are making a reasonable effort. Thanks for that.

derek
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Kid wanted a fighter jet on his board, so I doctored up a graphic.
Plus got another splitboard pressed today.
Starbucks stir sticks are perfect for maintaining a 1/4" base gap while pressing.
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Some more finished stuff
[/img][URL=http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]