CNC Update (finally)

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

odin

CNC Update (finally)

Post by odin »

I have been in contact with quite a few members on here over the past several months, about when the new CNC machines will be ready for production. I am happy to say that the first batch of the new systems is being produced now and will be ready to ship late Sept/mid Oct. Only a handful are being made in this run and limited numbers made after that, so early ordering would be best.

Thanks all for your patience. And as always contact me with any questions.

MC

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Looks really nice!

I'm not interested, cause I already have my own CNC. But I am curious, what is the z-travel?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

so a 2' x 6' machine with motors electronics and a mach 3 license would run me $4590 USD before ship?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
odin

Post by odin »

@ Twizz;

The stock Z is 6" without the spoilboard. The rails can be shimmed up off the table surface an inch with T-Slot blocks to give 7" of pre-spoilboard travel without needing to install a longer leadscrew. If more hieght is still needed a longer leadscrew is available. In both cases of shimming the rails longer mounting brackets would need to be made by us or you.

@Madman;

yes the math is correct however the 6' rail extensions would give you a full 4'x8' turn-key machine for that price. The base unit still comes with the 4x2 rail system you would just be adding the extensions.

Moving to the t-slot material has made the machine so much easier to fabricate and build, allowed better scale-ability, and increased the overall strength of the gantry and rails.

Its a good machine and will more than hold its own against much more expensive units. I am happy with how they have progressed in such a short time. Thanks for the questions guys.

MC
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Odin, that is a very nice machine. The price is good!
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
falls

Post by falls »

What is the linear motion system?
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

been wondering about that too...looks like some sort of plastic sliding directly on the aluminum extrusions.
cainguy

Post by cainguy »

Looks like rack and pinion to me
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

there are multiple uhmw linear motion sliding types available. Looks like odin made his own perhaps?
I just wonder with all that dust, is it sealed enough and how long till you have to replace it as Im sure you will eventually.
I have looked at many of these as a possible low cost alternative to thk style rail.
falls

Post by falls »

I meant linear bearing system sorry.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
odin

Post by odin »

yes it is a UHMW linear slide bearing system designed with close tolerance that actually shovels dust off of the rails in front of and behind with travel. As far as replacing; its a matter of ordering new slide blocks and attaching them with the on hand hardware if needed. There are also wear compensation adjustment points on all axis to prolong the life of the bearing blocks.

Overall the machine is built to work, being inexpensive to purchase, simple to operate, and easy to maintain. I have strived to make this a clean and elegant machine that when set up and taken care of has very few items that should ever need to be replaced or repaired. That means less down time where you're throwing huge amounts of money toward a fix to get back up and running.

Honestly most folks probably won't look twice at this machine believing that it's not expensive enough or doesn't use one of the high dollar linear systems that must surely mean better quality. And that's ok, this machine isn't built for them.

But if you're a guy in a garage like I am or a small rented space then you know that every dollar you shell out for a tool that doesn't make life better means you spend that amount again chasing after a tool that will. We already work two or more jobs to support our shop projects and can't afford the added headaches. Allot of the time we wind up making our own tools and jigs beacause it's the only remaining option. That's who this machine is built for, and by :)

Thanks again for the comments and questions guys.

MC
barnboy

Post by barnboy »

Right on!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

odin, have you considered the addition of a drag blade type spindle and the control of what I learned as the theta angle for detailed die cutting of plastics?
This would obviously be a perfect add on to our industries if accuracy and repeatability is high.
odin

Post by odin »

yep its been done.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Epic dude!