Anniversary Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Thanks mm and MM! By 2 over 20, I mean a 2 cm rise over 20 cm of length.

I also meant to mention that I've been using tinted epoxy sidewalls for a little over a year now. No "yellowing" issues so far, machines great and the bond to the core is very strong. I use a base with edges to draw an outline of the ski on the core blank and then router a channel using the base template as a guide (leaving a thin "floor" that gets planed off after the epoxy cures). Because the epoxy contracts some while curing, it usually takes two pours unless there's enough extra thickness to the core blank (relative to the profiled core thickness) that you can do it in one pour.

The one negative to the epoxy sidewalls is that they don't withstand impact as well as a plastic sidewall. They can chip when plastic will show no damage, or a smaller gouge. Been experimenting with two-part polyurethane, but as others have experienced, air bubbles are an issue.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice work! Looks like you had a busy season.
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Latest couple of pairs.

ImageImage
Both pairs are 181cm 134/94/119 with tip rocker, my favorite shape so far. The graphics on the first are sort of an inside literary joke that I'm probably the only one that gets.... It's a mashup of my two favorite books, Moby Dick and Gravity's Rainbow. Gravity's Dick, I call them......:) The second pair are a repeat of graphics I used before on a shorter version. I really like the artist's work and am hoping to get him to do a backcountry skiing theme piece. Most of his work is mountaineering and ice climbing.

Question for y'all, most ski companies vary the width dimensions going from one length to another for a particular model which means the sidecut radius changes--and pretty dramatically--17 to 20m say. Does that make sense? Seems to me that changing the radius is going to change how a ski skis regardless of the skiers height/weight, whereas a proportionately narrower ski for a shorter/lighter skier is likely to be more similar to a wider version for a taller/heavier skier if the sidecut is kept constant.

Scott
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Seriously, you chose "gravity's dick" over "moby rainbow"? ;)
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

I know.... But if you read Gravity's Rainbow, you'll know why.....
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

i've read the german version...but imo rainbow would make sense as well.
agiocochook

Post by agiocochook »

Interesting....I wonder how a translator handles all the puns and word-play in GR, but I can see a twisted sort of irony to a german translation in particular. Anyhow, still working on why rainbow....Melville's deconstruction of the whale? parabolic skis?....:)
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Well, the rainbow also describes the arc of the rocket in flight...that could also describe the arc of a nice turn on skis.

The german version is said to be quite a good translation...i can't really tell though as i haven't read it in english.