ski edge question

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

redddd

ski edge question

Post by redddd »

i am building a pair of skis for a school project, just got materials in yesterday and have cut bases and am at the stage where i am going to attack the edges to the base. i plan on tacking down with 5 minute epoxy then applying gflex along the entire length. my question though is that at the tip and tail of my skis there are sharp corners, by design, and i dont know what to do with the egde at these corners...
should i kink/bend them around?
should i cut and make a joint?
can i just forget about edges on the tip and tail?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

You should tack the edges on with superglue instead of epoxy.

For the pointy tips, bending that point will be too hard. Either cut the edges so they meet up like a miter joint, or don't have them go all the way around. It doesn't effect how the ski performs having/not having full-wrap edges, its just for looks and some tip protection.
redddd

Post by redddd »

alright thanks for the input. after trying it out a miter joint wont be too difficult, and i would like the protection.

why is it that i should use superglue instead of 5min epoxy to tack?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Quicker, easier, cleaner? It's what most people do? Epoxy would probably work, just seems like a mess just to tack some edges on. Only an opinion.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Tested a number of epoxies. Too viscous - creates a unsustainable bond. Alternatives are available, but you will need to think about where the adhesive is applied and what adhesive is used.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I've tried neoprene contact adhesive too, which some pros use, but I don't exactly know their application method, and when I tried it was a miserable failure. After laying up a test piece in the press, I was able to rip the edge out like a zipper.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

A super strong neoprene adhesive will work, non-sprayable. Applied using a needle thin tip - Mervin. This method produces a more fragile result, but nothing that should worry a homebuilder.

I would upload a photo, but SB's is too slow at the moment.

reddd, I would double check the Bohmne video tape if you want to experiment in the future.
redddd

Post by redddd »

alright. well the deal for me is i am at a boatbuilding school studying composites. and given the tools and resin systems and glass availiable at a low cost, i thought it was the perfect opportunity to make some skis. i bought materials for 2 pairs, because i suspect i will learn alot from the first.

have any of you used gflex for this before?
am i right in assuming it is better to bond edges permanently to base before layup?
ace skis

Post by ace skis »

I just tac the edges with supper glue until i press them then they get covered in epoxy and will not move.

read over this form. viewtopic.php?t=3663&highlight=gflex