Mt. Shasta 5/20/2012

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dr. Delam

Mt. Shasta 5/20/2012

Post by Dr. Delam »

Mt. Shasta had been calling me and I made it happen this past weekend with some good friends from work. I hadn't been up there in a few years so it was great to be back. That place is magical.

This is the face we skied though this was taken earlier in the season.

We started climbing at 5 am from the Bunny Flat trailhead up avalanche gulch. Six and a half hours and 7,230 vertical later we summited at 14,180 ft.

Image Image
The weather cooperated and we had turn after turn of perfect corn snow all the way down to the car. I brought up my Soul Train skis mounted with Dynafits and they delivered the goods. Light enough for long climbs and a little rockered for effortless corn skiing.

On the drive back we caught some of the solar eclipse as an added bonus.

We are hoping for a Mt. Lassen trip next weekend which should be just as good.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

Wicked!!! That's a serious climb! Did you have to boot climb in the end?Good call on Lassen. I got it for four days around May 12. The road was closed at sulpher works so we mostly hung out around Brokeoff and Diller.

Here's a vid I made for my partners that shows the conds. and some pics of the snowpack at the end.
My friend Tom Cal in Truckee can rent a house 10 minutes from the visitor center for cheap if you're interested. I paid $35.00 a night for a room in a good sized cabin.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Yes, the top half gets fairly steep so I threw the crampons on at the Helen Lake area. Misery Hill area was windy and scoured sastrugi and trying to skin that would be a PITA as well.

Your Lassen video looks inviting. Your footage makes me want to take up snowboarding. I hear the road is now open allowing shuttling for easy vert.

Thanks for the info. I have a van that I sleep in but my buddies might be interested in the cabin.