Embrace the strange

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

FlamingYeti

Post by FlamingYeti »

Hi PTTR,

By no means am I an expert at building, but I have come up with some ridiculous ideas before. I am a huge fan of DPS and what they do is put I believe Titanal or something similar in between the stringers in the core. What I figured is why not try it with some ridiculously strong or tough metal if you wanted to have insanely stiff skis for whatever reason. I am talking about metals like Cobalt or Tungsten Carbide. There are dealers around the world that sell that stuff in sheets. Maybe I am just crazy, and I more than likely am. But, who knows, I might have something going.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Lead core snowboards here we come!
sammer

Post by sammer »

FigmentOriginal wrote:Lead core snowboards here we come!
Welcome to dampness!
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

Trying once more to get this going..
If the hill is small, design your skis so it feels like you go 100 mph when you go 20, is the basic thougt.

140 cm long, 62-43-57. 17 meter radius with assymetric bootcenter. "Pimp my skatebinding" and a small aggressiv rocker to kick in the turns.
I'm going north tomorrow to test them. Will post afterwards.

Advanced telemark or just a bad idea?

tufty

Reminds me of this from Coiler

Post by tufty »

FigmentOriginal

Works really well!

PTTR

Post by PTTR »

I might be a little slow but..
there is no radius but instead strait segments? Works like these "saw tooth" snowboards (LIBtech?) with pressure points so to speak, for better grip?

and on the link it looked like there was no tipp and tail but on the picture it seems to have at least a small one?

Is there more special design features in it? I really like the aggro look!

Has anyone done saw tooth edges on skis? and if, was it any good? a customer asked for it but I talked him out of it as I see no need for it. With the 2 edges on skis there is plenty of grip, and I was afraid of the extra traction it might create. I guess strait sections would work better as it wouldn't create as much. Hmm, might be good..
FigmentOriginal

The segmented sidecut is series of straight lines to make a radius curve. Here is an extreme example using the keyboard. \__/ Only 3 lines makes the shape rough, the more lines the smoother it becomes. Think geometry.

Libtech magnetraction uses a wavy edge to create multiple contact points.
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

So it did work!

This is the most fun I have had in a groomed pist in a long time. It really does feel like 100 mph. It's a psykological ski. As long as I look ahead they ski just fine but as soon as I look down I freak out 'cause there is nothing there.

http://youtu.be/Ep8trxnhBL0
mrgooddave

Post by mrgooddave »

Glad to hear you had a blast on those wild skis.

I had a thought for this thread this week after checking out my friends kick sled (Sparkfabrik of Sweden). Build one with powder runners! I will do it with a pair of throw outs someday and post more.
mrgooddave

Post by mrgooddave »

Great video Petter. Looks like you need the handicap!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Extreme telemarking! Love it!
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

mrgooddave wrote:Glad to hear you had a blast on those wild skis.

I had a thought for this thread this week after checking out my friends kick sled (Sparkfabrik of Sweden). Build one with powder runners! I will do it with a pair of throw outs someday and post more.
I actually have a old kick (spark) standing. Thats a great idea that must try some day :D
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

A hotwater rocket driven kicksled. 0-100km/h in 4s

Climbing skins are fine but..

In a more serious note (serious, well..)
I think the fun part in kicksled extrem riding (like beeing towed behind a car) is the way it steers and I think you would loose that if you put skis on one. The way you bend the whole thing with both feet and hands. but giv it a try and post a video about it. I bet it will be a fantastic watch!
tufty

Post by tufty »

PTTR wrote:

A hotwater rocket driven kicksled. 0-100km/h in 4s
Ah, that's Anders. He's mental. Gas turbine powered pocketbike, huge pulse jets, anything that makes noise and thrust.