Embrace the strange

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

PTTR

Embrace the strange

Post by PTTR »

We need a thread for the wierd and strange.
Sorry..this will be a long post.
You know how evoulution moves forward with small mutations and then suddenly a big leap. The snowboard was a leap like that aswell as the hourglas shaped ski and now we are all mutating them to perfection.

I don't know if it is possible to force one of this leaps to happen but I can't think of a better forum for trying than this.
Or we might not invent a life change snowgliding device but instead end up with some strange and funny designs that possibly could improve our normal ski designs.
A thread for wierd drawingtable ideas to be taken seriously and pushed forward. It already happens in a lot of journals but I'm sure that more people than me walk around with ideas that are so unprecis that they don't even make it to the forum. Well now they can. bring them on, take them seriously and lets push them as far as we can and see what happens!

I will start of with an idea of mine. Well it's not really an idea, more of a feeling as the design does not have a shape yet. You know it I think. The feeling of gliding through the snow on the inrun or on the way home after a perfect run in untracked powder. The weightless feeling that you get when the hill slopes just a little and the skiis starts to move. Not enough speed to make turns but enough for you to effortless and relaxed move forward.
I ski mostly in Sweden. The hills are small and with the increasing number of powder enthusiasts I ani't alone no more. The good steep runs are skiedout quickly and hiking further away is not really an option because it's nothing there. But we do have lots of good snow lying unused in less steep and easily accessible terrain. Skiing it on fatskis or a snowboard might be nice but I don't think I would walk up for a second run. (havn't tried noboard, but after seeing videos here on the forum I belive BC is a better place for this. It would be to easy to be fun in the long run) Doing it on crosscountry skiis or a snowskate could ad some tension but you would loose the nice weightless feeling.
I'm thinking something like nose riding a longboard surfboard. It is not like towin surfing at Jaws (never tried it, never will. I suck at surfing) but it is still a challenging and fantastic way to spend your afternoon.
In short: I want a difficult way to surf down a mountain. What does it look like?

- Petter
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

You just blew me out of the water! I thought I was the strangest poster here.
Sounds like you need a super wide split board to me.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Are you thinking of creating a surfboard like snowboard??? I think I've seen a video of some guys who are doing that already. I'm not sure, but I don't think they have bindings on the boards either. I bet I saw it on Youtube.
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

I have never tried a splitboard but Huck you have got me interested. I have some nice areas around were I usually go skiing that I would like to explore :D

PTTR. I have an idea that I have nor tried yet. I have been thinking about building two small snowboards and using it like skis on flat powder slopes. Just curious what it would feel like :D
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Something like this?

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

PTTR

Post by PTTR »

Yes, the thread is working!

a splitboard is definetly on my to do list (and has been ever since I saw them here on the forum), but I think I will need one that has more focus on the skiing mode. A pair of touringskiis that can be turned into a board. (fits the swedish conditions better..)

A noboard splitboard might be the answere but I love my teleskiis.. I didn't want to post this in the earlier post because you would then all think I was mad but since you bring it up Deepski I will.
In my head the answere looks something like this:

Its inspired by drawings of the old viking god Ull or Ullr who was the god for skiing and bowhunting.

Leen back and to the side to turn with your feet hoovering above the snow!
If it works I belive the feeling would be fantastic. Please comment, but be gentle...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

perhaps ullr would like this.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

twizzstyle wrote:Something like this?

Yeah that's the one. Wild!

PTTR - Love the drawing :-)

MM - Hard time figuring out how that ski works or it's purpose.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

[quote="twizzstyle"]Something like this?

Looks like so much fun.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Your drawing looks a bit like giant snowshoes, but without the crampon bit
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

twizzstyle wrote:Your drawing looks a bit like giant snowshoes, but without the crampon bit
yeah that and the weird appendage coming out from his chest. is that a 3 armed man?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Huck Pitueee

Post by Huck Pitueee »

That chest thing is a scarf! JEEZ!!!
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

http://www.snowboardermag.com/videos/sp ... nowboards/

The head is still spinniing and winter is comming. Longboard-noboard-split maybe?
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

These snowboards look much like the first ones that we build in 1989 :D

3 layers of birch playwood, clamp pressed and epoxy paint. As long as you stay off pist it works great! The first bindings were an old pair of roller skates. Wearing moon boots on our feets...

I get flashbacks!
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com