Geoff's Build

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Mongo

Post by Mongo »

I am between classes right now, so a detailed write up will happen later. Here are a couple of pics of my latest creations.
The all aspen core with white ash sidewalls.

Hwy. 22 Redux and The Gunship compared against my Volkl Explosiv's

The Hwy. 22 Redux is 190 cm and 125-103-115.
The Gunship is 190 cm and 154-164-156-139-154 pontoon style.

--Geoff
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

New skis made for my friend who rides in Tahoe- Hafstead HK model. They are fresh out of the press so I will finish them in a couple of days after they have fully hardened up. I changed up a lot of things in my process for these, and they came out looking fantastic so far. I will know a bit more once I have them finished. --Geoff

Base with flash

Top with flash
plywood

Post by plywood »

a nice looking pair!
what are these grey areas in tip and tail? did you cover the tipspacers with a special grafic layer?
did you do the ash-sidewalls (as shown on the pic in the post at the top) again? what`s the advantage of this? is ash harder or why did you made them out of other wood?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Great work Mongo. Top sheets look very smooth.

G-man
mattym

Post by mattym »

wow dude - some great looking skis!!!

on your pontoon style ski did you use any rocker or reverse camber? Or normal camber?
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

plywood wrote:a nice looking pair!
what are these grey areas in tip and tail? did you cover the tipspacers with a special grafic layer?
did you do the ash-sidewalls (as shown on the pic in the post at the top) again? what`s the advantage of this? is ash harder or why did you made them out of other wood?
The grey areas in the tip and tail are trigger fabric just to cover up the tipspacers and the VDS from pre-attacheng the ABS. White ash is a hardwood with a higher density so it will be good as sidewalls for taking impacts. I recently gouged a big chunk (about 3/8" or 1 cm high by 1" long) out of the plastic sidewall of my Volkl Explosiv, but have had no problems with damage to the white ash I have been using. It bonds really well, but I still rough it up with sandpaper first, and gives good stiffness to the edge of the ski for better torsional properties.
mattym wrote: on your pontoon style ski did you use any rocker or reverse camber? Or normal camber?
As can be seen in the pic below (kind of hard to see), I have 6mm of rocker to each tip starting at the widest point of the reverse sidecut in the front. From there, I have 8mm regular camber for the remainder of the ski. No tail Rocker.

The Gunship Tip Rocker
G-man wrote:Top sheets look very smooth.
I pressed these skis at 30psi opposed to the 40psi I was using on my previous pairs. The decreased pressure didn't affect the press quality of the ski, and prevented the fiberglass from imprinting up through the topsheet.

So for these skis I decided to beef up the stiffness in the tail a little bit. So I have a stiff (not super stiff) tail with a mid flex tip. The core is 3 aspen in the middle with white ash on the outside, then white ash sidewalls. Dimensions 190cm and 125-102-115mm. For the graphics I went with simplicity and simply covered up the tip and tail spacers with fabric, and left a natural look for the rest of it. It will be interesting to see the longevity on these based on UV damage, but they look awesome right now. Up in the tip I made Odin's horn with photoshop and put it inside a blue circle. I put the model in white lettering with a red background in the tail. I did 11mm of camber for these skis, and made it so the high point of the camber is exactly under boot center. I don't know if any other ski companies are doing this, but I think the asymmetrical camber shape will give a much more even flex to the ski.

Hafsead HK Camber

Topsheet and Base

For the pressing, as stated above I went with 30psi to try to eliminate fiberglass imprinting through the topsheet. I also brought the pressure up really slowly so any trapped air would be squeezed out of the layers. This seemed effective as there are absolutely no air bubbles or discolored areas in either ski. I made these for a friend so I'm not even going to get to ski them, which is kind of a bummer as they feel really good and my other skis have been performing a lot better than my Explosiv's.

As for the ride of my other skis, the HWY. 22 Redux holds edge as well as my Explosiv's, but it is much easier to transition turns because of the relatively softer tip. I mounted them with demo bindings, and have had 8 different people riding them and have gotten really positive feedback. People have been telling me they hold edge really well and are very damp for the 12 seconds of high speed you can RIP HARD at Tyrol Basin. The Gunships are my current ski of choice. Really bizarre as I am here in south central Wisconsin, but they ski phenomenally. With the rocker and reverse sidecut in the front, they ski like a 175cm ski. This coupled with the regular sidecut and amount of force transferred to the edge due to the moment created by their extreme width makes them really nice to rip GS turns with. I have been told that the rockered tips bouncing up and down on the snow is really strange looking, but I haven't really noticed it due to the dampness of the all aspen core. Some of the looks I get in lift lines are pretty priceless too. :D --Geoff
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

So I don't know whether or not this should go under the equipment or personal build stuff, so I'll jut put it here. My new press frame has been designed, and here is a slightly incomplete solid model of it as I have not yet put on the handle or drawn up the rolling cart it will rest on.

It has a swing gate for side loading, and can be easily dissassembled into 4 main pieces with the vertical supports being seperate. The dimensions are 86in ID length, 20in ID width, and 16in ID height. The material is 2inx2in 0.125in wall steel. I am starting fabrication on monday, and hopefully I can finish all the welding by the following monday-class and 2 exams permitting. The cart that it will roll around on isn't in the picture, but the plexiglass shield on the gate is a nice touch I think. It has a minimum safety factor of 4.84, so I feel pretty good about it with an estimated frame weight of only 239lbs without the cart. It is also going to have top and bottom heat, cat track, and some better pneumatic controls that I currently have on my single ski press. The dryer in the compressor line is going to be especially clutch. So...time to spend some money and hopefully everything turns out great. --Geoff
BigG

Post by BigG »

Hi Geoff,

Did you make some FEA on your model?
I have a similar design and had to use quite some steel and special connection structures to be able to allow for 70 psi.

Welding will be necessary for such a design and you have to be careful with welding connections.

Best regards,

Geoff
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

I noticed you treat the sidewalls with oil. Is this done before or after the skis have been pressed? If it is done before they are pressed, does the oil interfere with the bonding at all?
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Here are some new sticks I built last weekend. A 190 cm Explosiv is there for reference. The new skis are a true 195 cm length, and you can see they are pretty big as I am 6'6". I built 4 pair on Christmas day and am currently in Bozeman testing them out, so a full description will follow once I get some days on them. Holler if you have any questions on the build or materials.

Mongo

Post by Mongo »

Here are a couple more pairs I made up for my friend and his fiancé two weeks ago right before catching an awesome Tahoe storm cycle. The pair on the left is a 165 cm with 140 mm underfoot and the big sticks are a 195 cm w/ 150 mm underfoot in the reverse/traditional sidecut style that I have been testing out. Both pair are yellow poplar cores, white ash sidewalls, Durasurf base and topsheet, 22 oz glass, CDW edges and VDS, and ABS spacers. I have had several iterations over the last 4 years in messing around with different reverse/trad sidecut and i think I have now worked out the right design to test out a little production run of like 15 pair in 3 different lengths. Also included are a couple stoke pics of sweet days testing at Alpine Meadows and Kirkwood from last week. Any questions, holler. --Geoff

shopvac

Post by shopvac »

skis look clean. Nice work as usual. Do you get any deflection when pressing? A lot of your earlier photos don't work any more. If I ever build another press, it will be very similar to your design.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

shopvac wrote:skis look clean. Nice work as usual. Do you get any deflection when pressing? A lot of your earlier photos don't work any more. If I ever build another press, it will be very similar to your design.
No deflection when pressing, camber came out where I wanted it. I pressed at 180 deg F top and bottom for 20 min with 10 minutes of cool down under pressure. I put a post up giving the rundown of when I did my deflection testing in college in ben_mtl's press build thread (http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 7&start=45). I will re-link the old pictures when I get on days off from work.

Shopvac, where was your avatar pic taken? Kind of looks like the south pole based on some of the pics from when I used to work on the IceCube project.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

What are the graphics printed on? Did you use Rice paper?
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

Good eye. I am standing on the clean air side of ARO and the photo is looking back towards station. I was there for a year 06-07 working for NOAA. Did you ever work with Sven? I know a couple cubers. That project is pretty freakin' huge. I still don't know what the heck a neutrino or a muon really is (even after a year) haha.