Method of Failure

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MLReed05

Method of Failure

Post by MLReed05 »

Has anyone destroyed a ski to see where it fails? If so do the tip and tails usually delaminate? This leads me to my next question...if failure is delamination, is it the base delaminating from the fiberglass?
G-man

Post by G-man »

I think that delamination of some sort is almost always the culprit. Although I haven't destroyed a ski yet, I have noticed some subtle indicators of potential (if not certain) future problems. I'm speaking of little 'micro fractures' along the top sheet/sidewall junction on the inside edges of the skis. These are caused from knocking the skis together slightly when doing big air 1080's... okay, just kidding. But, I do clank 'em a bit during normal skiing, and if I clank hard enough and at just the right angle, the little fractures cause a small area of delamination, maybe 2 to 4mm in diameter. I'm betting that all sandwich skis suffer from this a bit, and is maybe why production ski makers use mostly opaque top sheets. Certainly, adequacy of the epoxy/substrate bond is a key element here... the better the bond strength, the less the joint will fracture upon impact, and the longer the ski, in general, will stay together. I'm just feeling like these little fractures are telling me that I have an inadequate bond condition.

So, focus on good surface treatment.

G-man
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

the first ski i made i forgot to flametreat much of the plastic. This lead to delamination on the sidewalls and the tips and tails but i was able to rivet them. I snapped my dad's in front of the binding as shown here: http://media.newschoolers.com/uploads/m ... tah107.mpg

I think that ski broke because it was really soft.
J I B T H E S H I T
MLReed05

Post by MLReed05 »

Would fiberglass Tip and tail spacers reduce the likleyhood of delamintion?