groove for edges?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MLReed05

groove for edges?

Post by MLReed05 »

Is everyone routering out a groove for the edges? In not, are your bases completly flat or are there air pockets underneath? Thanks!
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

yes, definitely router for the edge tabs.

I did & the bases came out pretty flat.

An ski industry insider said that their cores have been routered for the edges. I figure if they do it, i will too.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

I've tried both ways and can't really tell a difference. The bases aren't completely flat until you base grind them anyways. I haven't cut apart our skis to see if there are any air trapped in between the edges and core.

-kelvin
Greg

Post by Greg »

I haven't worried too much about this either. I just give the skis a good base grind and that makes them pretty good. For the powder skis I make, a flat base hardly makes any difference in performance.
Bambi

Post by Bambi »

I want to router a groove for the core. It seems that I will need to make the groove a bit bigger to accomodate the fibreglass (not cut deeeper into the core, but taken further towards the centerline of the ski).

How much 'slop' I should build in? I was guessing 2mm on both edges.

Oh yeah and for the guys that are using sidewalls- How wide is your sidewall material? I was thinking of making mine about 8mm.