Anyone near NNJ or NYC?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

charland

Anyone near NNJ or NYC?

Post by charland »

I have been skimming these forums and reading the articles on the site for the last year or so and really want to start building skis. Unfortunately I live in a condo near NYC and have been threatened by my wife every time I start talking about building a press in our apartment.

Is anyone out there near NYC and has already started or has built skis? I'd love to watch and learn, possibly help if you want it.

PM me for contact info...if you're out there.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Use a vacuum setup, needs nothing you can't hide in a ski bag.

I first built skis in the corridor of the 2 bed apartment I lived in - did all the woodworking on the balcony! skied em for 100's of days

OK now I rent 45sqm and use a 40psi heated two ski press - but now I'm looking to press 100+ pairs a year not one or two
charland

Post by charland »

thanks!
nfaust

Post by nfaust »

Weehawken, eh? I just moved from Hoboken two weeks ago (now I'm about 30 min further west into Jersey now - more space).

I'm in the same boat though. Been researching and learning from these forums for years now. Built a carbon/balsa core longboard last year to get my feet wet and am gearing up for a ski build. I had dreams of starting big with sick press, but cost, space and experience will probably steer me towards starting off with a vacuum setup as well.