Base ginders/belt grinders/stone grinders DIY

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Base ginders/belt grinders/stone grinders DIY

Post by MontuckyMadman »

so to date bobbyrobbie has the only homemade belt grinder I know of around here.
I have yet to find out how he did it. Pipe up ehh? Or is it a secret cause your going commercial?

Even if I bought nice belts how do I get that to keep the belt on and not track off and what type of drum and spindle would I need to fab to get it right?

I am attempting to break it down to the most basic parts.

A drum, silicon carbide grip tape, high torque motor, maybe a drill press motor drum rotates through a water trough.
Really weak I know but trying to keep it as simple as possible.

I have a welder but no other machine tools and average intelligence and low money.

$200USD parts investment + gobbs of time? even possible?

How the hell do I get that drum to spin on center?
Where do I find this so called drum, suggestions? This is for skis so 7" wide should suffice.

Just want to get a 100 grit flattening grind on and pay for a diamond base grind and structure.

This problem just can't be that hard to tackle can it?

Moped on blocks with griptape and a hose?

Lets get out the box on this please. Nothing to fancy here just have to grind flat.
thanks
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I had plans from a woodworking mag to make a drum sander... Never made it, but the principle is the same. Of course I couldn't find the mag but I found almost the exact plan on the internet:
http://www.areddy.net/wood/tools.html

There are other plans out there as well. It would need some modifications if you're going to be using water, but it's a starting point. Not sure how true the drum would be in the in the above plan... I was thinking maybe using large PVC pipe or something, but even that may not be true enough. Maybe if you had a 4 or 6 inch hole saw drill bit (plumber use them for cutting holes to run drain pipe) you'd be able to cut them fairly decent. In the above plan he glued Velcro on the drum to hold the sand paper in place.

Here's another: http://www.woodworkstuff.net/EDTSander.html

I saw another idea where a guy used a bench grinder. Took off the grinding wheel and added a wider homemade drum w/ sander paper on it. My bench grinder spins incredibly fast, so not sure it would work for a ski/snowboard.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I think the bench grinder without a pully system would be bad.

Thanks for the other ones good stuff.

Mdf and water, hmmm... messy.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I can throw pots on a wheel like really f'ing good. Perhaps I could throw a form, double walled, filled with concrete and a center spot point to put a shaft in the concrete.
Crazy
tufty

Post by tufty »

Belts are difficult to keep on drums once they are spinning. You actually want your drums to be non-cylindric, and have a *slightly larger diameter in the middle*. It's the same principle as bandsaw wheels (I saw a homemade bandsaw last week that used, I kid you not, motorcycle wheels with tyres still mounted and inflated, as wheels for the blade.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

huh yeah I know that about the drums. I want one drum no belt maybe. Just abrasive struck to the drum.
But what drum to get?
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

i will post up some more information on mine tonight. i have been working on changing up the wheel setup i have. but its as large as a grind rite type unit, water cooled and all. think i spent around 300 for everything including the motor,belts etc.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I think I am going with a tread mill alteration.
$300 is doable.
originskis

Post by originskis »

you could adapt one of these:

http://www.svst.com/categories3.aspx?Ca ... a5cb5253fc

they don't have a 100 grit one but you could buy the cork one then attach sandpaper.

just a thought
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

We have a Montana Monty C2 stone grinder we can just sell you. It is only a 120 mm stone but i think you could convert it to larger.

2k and Ill help you load it. Maybe even throw in a sixer of O'douls for the ride home.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

right. 2 k no prob. thats why I drive a 94 jeep with 230k MILES ON IT.

Think cheaper...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

What about a belt sander with a medium/fine grit? Cheaper yet a sanding block.

btw- you got 230K on a 94 jeep? Not Bad.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Have you ground your bases with regular sandpaper or al oxide paper? It doesn't really work, very hard to flatten the minuscule concavity that exists and the paper clogs super fast. My skis are 150mm so I need a wide belt.
I need silicon carbide, flat and wet.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

150mm is wide, belt sander probably won't work.

I used a belt sander with Al Oxide. I used 80 grit which I don't recommend, removes too much material. I'd rather use a 120, 150 even 220 but didn't have it at the time. Need to have a light touch when using a belt sander.