SnoCAD - Safety Net Being Put in Place!

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richuk

SnoCAD - Safety Net Being Put in Place!

Post by Richuk »

This is just a note to let everyone know that fall back position is being put together. So if SnoCAD falls off the net we should be able to provide a new beta.

The aim of the finished project will be to give us increased design freedom, more automated data and more tools. We're logging ideas and essential features to a spreadsheet at the moment - some are 'must have', some 'useful' and are headed 'ideal/if only there was a budget' : )

The project is being overseen by some of the guys around the forum, but the start of the season is putting us all under pressure. So if you would like to highlight the features you really need, then feel free to e-mail r.barnes01@gmail.com, the company involved would be stocked to see this pulled together as a collaborative project!
Last edited by Richuk on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I don't use snocad, but I must say it's awesome to see yet another example of this wonderful forum pulling together to solve a problem. :)
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

Great to hear Rich!
I sent you an email with some ideas/wishes.
~ Matt
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks for putting in that extra effort Rich! My Snocad-x crapped out the other day and I had a minor panic attack. Luckily I was able to download a fresh copy and it's now working. But it's nice to have a backup plan. If I have any ideas I'll pass them along.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Is this a new version of the software?

A couple of ideas off the top of my head.

More control over camber would be nice. Multiple draggable points to create various mixed camber designs that show up as points on the actual ski template so you know where the rocker ends. This is especially nice in a 7pt spline model so you can line up the end the of the rocker to be exactly at the fat point of the reverse side cut portions of the ski.

advanced sidecut options for progressive side cut and dual radii sidecut designs.

improved tip shaping for 7pt spline models to make it easier to create a more rounded nose instead of the typical shark nose style for this model.

improved sidecut calculation for 7 pt. spline designs

make the graph paper background brighter so you can see the individual boxes easier and have the x axis be equal to the 0/flat camber line of the ski to make calculating the tip and tail rise and camber measurements easier.

Or create an interface that shows you a numeric value to tip and tail rise, rocker length and camber values as well as the curvature values of the tip and tail
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
switzch

Post by switzch »

No idea what it take to do something like this but good on you. Good luck! My suggestion would be that when outputting to a cad file it doesn't segment the lines into a million pieces. One smooth arc between a few key points would be ideal I think..
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Thanks for the encouragement!

Vinman - this will be a new piece of software.

I understand where you are coming from, it seems a lot of us have been drafting in SnoCAD and then completing a certain amount of alteration in a secondary program. Finding the right secondary program is crucial ... but also potentially costly. Hopefully, we can do away with this process!
OAC

Post by OAC »

Good inititive Rich!!
I agree with switzch on this:
switzch wrote:My suggestion would be that when outputting to a cad file it doesn't segment the lines into a million pieces. One smooth arc between a few key points would be ideal I think..
If I can wish, :), this should be a mandatory enhancement.

Rock on!
JanneP
vinman

Post by vinman »

Another idea:

Having the option to have the dxf or PDF file create a base template and a core template with and adjustable offset for calculating sidewall width. Ie 1 file that would be used to cut the base material and bend edges and a second file that would be used to cut the core. This core template would take edge width and sidewall width into account to help with core sizing.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Hi rich, Hopefully this is sample. To be able to enter values for the tip and tail curves. I like the snoCad-x of dragging too but sometimes that little box is to little to click in the correct spot so you can drag it and have the values change.

I hope you don't regret this :) Users can be so demanding :-)
kniklas

Post by kniklas »

Trying to start Snowcad and it is not working. Seems as Grafsnowboard site is down again. Last time it the site was down I had no problem start and use snowcad..
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

No, the site is still there!

We're working hard on this, so you'll have to give us a bit more time. On the up side the company really knows there stuff and is pressing hard to push the boundaries - 3D anyone?
PowderKing

Post by PowderKing »

It would be nice if a rocker profile option would be added. Awesome that your putting so much effort in the program!
Building skis when there ain't no pow!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

PowderKing - check that box and hang a festive bell : )

I'm just filtering ideas, the company involved is putting in the hard work - I don't know how they find the time!
WhitePine

Post by WhitePine »

I've been using SolidWorks but it can be maddening when dealing with splines so its great to see a new program dedicated to this sort of thing in the works.
PowderKing wrote:It would be nice if a rocker profile option would be added. Awesome that your putting so much effort in the program!
Also, an option for multiple arcs or segments to create the rocker. For example, an ellipse that transitions into a radius at the tip rather than just one long ellipse, spline or radius.