question about uni carbon

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Sherpa Burns

question about uni carbon

Post by Sherpa Burns »

I've been using the 3" wide uni carbon from Fiberglass Supply. I have been shopping around and came across Soller Composites. The prices are a lot less than FS.
Soller=3.27/meter
FS=5.56/meter
There are slight differences in the fabric. The main difference I see is the fabric from Soller has tiny strips of holt melt that are keeping the fabric together. FS's has a weave. The difference is thickness is negligible (.004").
Has anyone used the Soller fabric with the hot melt binder? Work fine or am I overthing this? I would like to save a few bucks as I have been putting the carbon above and below the core and it really adds up.
Thanks dudes.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

hot melt works fine for wet layup.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

Soller Composites is a great supplier, I've been using their materials for years. I suggest buying whatever uni-carbon you choose in the widest form offered. Then slit it into strips in whatever widths you want. This is the cheapest way to go. I use a long metal straight edge and a sharp box knife. Push down hard enough to make a clean cut in one smooth pass. Then try not to handle the strips too much prior to ski building.

The fabric with the hot melt binder works perfectly fine for wet lay-up ski building.

-S
Sherpa Burns

Post by Sherpa Burns »

thanks guys.