2x Hydraulic workshoppresses = 1 skipress?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

K.Ström

2x Hydraulic workshoppresses = 1 skipress?

Post by K.Ström »

http://www.jula.se/hydraulisk-verkstads ... ton-601001

Swedish page i know, but just to give you an idea i got today when walking around the tool shop.
What about using 2 of whose and then 2 I beams? Distribute the pressure with bladder and cat track.
Would it be able to hold the pressure for 12hours?
Would it be able to lift the upper beam so you easyally could get the cassete in and out?
Anyone treid it yet?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

One of the snowboard builders on here had a hydraulic actuator on one end of the press, the other end hinges so you can load things more easily. At K2 the entire top of the press raised so you could load it, then it lowered, and then the hoses inflated. Would sure make loading things a LOT easier!
OAC

Post by OAC »

Don't buy too much on Jula... ;-)
Focus on applying heat! Then you only have to hold for an hour¹.

1) Ca. 90°C AND if your epoxi is made for it.
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

Twizz: Did he apply the force with the actuator or did he inflate the bladder to get the pressure?
My idea is to only use the actuators to apply the pressure.

OAC: Im going to hold on to my vaccum for a while. Heat is on the way. Going to test these little buddies i think.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=19990
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

i have a pneumatic press (clamshell style, one side hinged). the purpose of the ram/actuator is to give us more room to load the cassette full of materials. it provides no pressure and would probably not be adequate to hold high pressure.

firehose is the way to go! crank up the pressure and heat!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Yeah, regardless you still need the firehose to actually apply the pressure, or you'll never get an even pressing force across the whole ski/board.
gladegp

Post by gladegp »

To OP: I think when you bought your 2 presses and the beams your total cost will be more then with a regular skipress. Plus then you've got a compressor
K.Ström wrote: OAC: Im going to hold on to my vaccum for a while. Heat is on the way. Going to test these little buddies i think.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=19990
You did see the size of those? 310mm long
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

I will use a half filled and closed bladder and a cat track to spread the pressure. But the pressure itself will come from the hydraulic lifters.
The moore i think about it the moore i actually think that this is going to work. So maybe one day il give it a try.
Heres a quick cad scetch of my "homebuilt" version...

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've seen presses that use hydraulic jacks. (do a google search on "The Claw Ski") I would get at least 3 12ton jacks. Also I would make some kind of handle so you can jackup all 3 jacks at the same time. You want to get the same pressure from each jack as close as possible.
K.Ström

Post by K.Ström »

I have calculated on the pressure. As the press is for one ski i need about 15tons of pressure to reach 5bars at the ski.
I think the jacks can be connected in seris by the oil refil plug but im not sure about if thats going to work.

Still im holding on for vacuum, this is just an idea that im playing with...