power tool and I-beams ...

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

NEngineer

power tool and I-beams ...

Post by NEngineer »

Hi Guys,
I had a power tool related question. I'm in the process of building a snowboard/ski press at home. I've found a source of relatively cheap i-beams but the catch is that I'd have to cut the beams myself. I've never really worked with steel before. The i-beams in question are W 8*18 being sold for $5/foot. Pretty cheap, right?
What would be the best tool for chopping a beam this size?
Also, would this beam size be strong enough for a press?

thanks guys.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

I purchased my I beam from a recycling center. They used a cutting torch to cut the 20' beam in half for me.

I would suggest taking your new steel to one of these type of places and asking if they'd cut it for $10, or a case of beer, etc.

Most of those places are pretty helpful if you approach them with the right attitude. Good luck!
NEngineer

Post by NEngineer »

hose-man wrote:I purchased my I beam from a recycling center. They used a cutting torch to cut the 20' beam in half for me.

I would suggest taking your new steel to one of these type of places and asking if they'd cut it for $10, or a case of beer, etc.

Most of those places are pretty helpful if you approach them with the right attitude. Good luck!
The beams are 40' long and the guy who is selling them doesn't have the resources to cut them himself. I'm either going to have to buy or borrow the cutting tool. What kind of a torch did you use?
collin

Post by collin »

I'm gonna guess it was an oxy-acetylene cutting torch. I think that you could rent one for a day, but if you've never used one they can be a little scary. Since you're in Boulder you've got some other options.

There's a recycling dumpster behind the engineering center on campus that's usually full of big ibeams, so free and possibly illegal.

Have you looked into the classes a guy named Sid teaches in the shop in the physics building? If you're associated with the University [student/employee] you can take a week long welding or machining class, I think they're $125. And then you get to use the shop when ever it's open. And it's a pretty nice setup, Bridgeports, lathes, oxy-acet/MIG/TIG, full wood shop.

Good luck.

Edit:
As for size, 8" X 18" is twice as big as what other people have been using. Is'nt it guys?
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
NEngineer

Post by NEngineer »

collin wrote:There's a recycling dumpster behind the engineering center on campus that's usually full of big ibeams, so free and possibly illegal.

Have you looked into the classes a guy named Sid teaches in the shop in the physics building? If you're associated with the University [student/employee] you can take a week long welding or machining class, I think they're $125. And then you get to use the shop when ever it's open. And it's a pretty nice setup, Bridgeports, lathes, oxy-acet/MIG/TIG, full wood shop.

Good luck.

Edit:
As for size, 8" X 18" is twice as big as what other people have been using. Is'nt it guys?
Thanks Collin.
I don't go to CU but will definitely look into these options.

I didn't thing W8*18 was that big. In the pictures, the IBeams used seemed almost larger.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

A torch would be the easiest and fastest way to go. You could try a mobile welding service and see how much they charge. I think a good sawzall, a handful of metal cutting blades and some (maybe a lot) time would probably do it. Lubricate the blade and go slow.

-kelvin
collin

Post by collin »

I've had better luck using abrasive cutting wheels [McGukins has em] on a circular saw than matal blades on a sawzall. They cut through a bike frame [for making choppers/tallbikes] like it's butter. But it's harder to get into tight spaces. Either way you're gonna burn through wheels blades pretty quick.

The guy that runs Brown's Welding off of 47th [just east of Foothills] between Pearl and Arapahoe is a nice guy, but I don't know if he does that kind of thing or how much he'd charge. And there's the welding supply place on Walnut and 33rd, they might be able to help you out.

[I don't live in Boulder anymore so I might be wrong about the addresses.]
------------------Take nothing I say as expert advice------------------
Idris

Post by Idris »

Ever thought of just using a hacksaw and some good blades. Granted it will take you a few hours but it can be done. When doing home renovation in older (100+) houses. A manual hacksaw is sometimes the only way to remove steel that has been added over the years. Vibration from grinders or sawzall kills masonary and the fire risk is too high for a torch. Just take lots of brakes or better still have a team of 3.
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

8"x18" I beam is perfect. Mine is 8'x16" and will be able to press two skis at a time, no problem.

Because of the size of the steel:
Hacksaws are definitely out.
Sawzalls are definitely out.
Circular saw with metal cutting abrasive blade are a maybe. This would need to be the large chainsaw-like gas powered saw with about six fresh blades.
Torch is the best way to go, but the hardest to use for the unexperienced & perhaps the most dangerous (short of stealing the steel as mentioned above)

Any decent mobile welder from the phone book should have a set of torches that will do the job. It's just a matter of cost.

Get a quote from a welder for 1-2 hours of site time and check with a tool rental place about renting a circ-saw & the price of blades. I would suggest that spending a little more on good quality metal specific blades will be worth it if you go the circ-saw route.

My press with Lg Beams prior to paint:

This is the type of circ-saw that I am suggesting would work best. The blade pictured is NOT an abrasive metal cutting blade.
Rich C

Post by Rich C »

W8x18 beam is 8" tall by 5.25" wide. The 18 is its weight per foot - 18lbs per foot.

Collin is correct that an oxy-acetylene torch is the way to go. The cuts should take less than 30 second each.