Ski building pics

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Thank´s guys!

I have a company printing it for me. I recommend Coda or Miller.
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

One happy nephew :D

www.deepskis.com
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Its time to make some new cores. The entire shop is now covered in ash-dust. What have you guys done to minimize saw dust in your shop. I feel its getting more and more of a problem.. :idea: ?? I have a dust collector.

www.deepskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Dust collector for the table saw and planer are a must. They are the biggest tools for making dust. I bought a hepa festool vacuum for my festool sander. It's virtually dust free. Dust masks also for health reasons.

I try to clean up after every major step in the process (ie saw wood, planing core, shaping cores, flashing, etc)
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Planer with dust collection is almost dust free (a few chips that are easily taken care of), dust collection on the table saw (under the table + above) still produces some dust but as Skidesmond says if you remove it promptly it should not be a big deal.
I'm more concerned about the dust produced when flashing / finishing the skis as I used more hand tools for this operations -» dust collection is not super easy.
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Well, for me there is no problem with the planner but the table saw makes a mess. Even if I use the dust collector it produces alot of saw dust..

I have been thinking of some kind of pipe system in the roof for easy connection. I'd love to see some pics of similar solutions.

www.deepskis.com
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Question,
I would like to start printing text on my sidewalls. Does anyone now how to do that? Maby there is a thread about that but I could not find it..

www.deepskis.com
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Modify the well in which the saw blade sits and make it more enclosed so that when the vacuum is turned on, you get a good pull.

The saw blade could be contributing to this issue, width, kerf of the blade, feed rate ... it's a good blade, you're not asking too much from it? I can't quite see the quality of the cut, but anyway SD is the expert on this : )
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Try making a zero clearance insert for the saw blade. That will keep some dust from kicking up when the blade spins. Also having an open back table saw where the motor hangs off the back doesn't help much. My saw has a dust pickup on the bottom, but has an open back so I lose a lot of suction from that. I've seen fancy setups that have a dust pick up over the blade area but those seem to get in the way more than anything else.

If your saw has a direct motor or the motor is housed in the box of the saw then you can make or buy bottom panel and hook it up to a wet/dry vacuum, add a zero clearance insert and you have a good start at controlling dust.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Screen print or dye subbing using a waxing iron. Czech or Polish factory video's .. I think. Just not sure why you'd want to make you skis look like they come from a commercial factory.
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

Richuk wrote:Screen print or dye subbing using a waxing iron. Czech or Polish factory video's .. I think. Just not sure why you'd want to make you skis look like they come from a commercial factory.
Ok, thanks!

Well for me its only a way of showing where to put the binding.

www.deepskis.com
OAC

Post by OAC »

deepskis wrote:Well for me its only a way of showing where to put the binding.
You shouldn't put the bindings on the sidewalls! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

OAC wrote:
deepskis wrote:Well for me its only a way of showing where to put the binding.
You shouldn't put the bindings on the sidewalls! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D

There low tech ways of printing on the sidewall. Check out water-slide paper. I've used clear mailing label from an office supply store.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

I saw a good article in a woodworking magazine today about a makeshift dust collection system. Basically what you want to do is fashion a panel filter to the backside of a large box fan. They are roughly the same dimension so it seems to work well. I am going to be building one myself as dust is always an issue.

Last edited by FigmentOriginal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Aweome! A simple and cheap idea to catch the small dust particles.

I saw a spray booth plan based on the same idea, but it can only be used for water-base poly, an oil base poly could cause a fire from the vaoors.