couple core profiler questions

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

anarchos

couple core profiler questions

Post by anarchos »

i was wondering how do i accuratly shape the rails for the profiler? would it be possible to take a cnc file from snocad (is snocad even good for ski designs?) and have a shop cut them for me? if that wouldnt cost an arm and a leg that is..or is there a good method for doing it by hand? anyways, thanks a lot!
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

snocad should be perfectly fine for designing the ski shape. as for shaping the rails i've come to learn that small inaccuracies aren't noticeable. that's just my thought but i've made some skis with major profiling flaws such as severely skewed profiles and even huge dents and i couldn't tell the difference. just spend a little time with your craftsmanship and you'll get good results with less cost. the directions on the site is the method we use to make the rails. good luck!
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Hey Little Kam, We just ran our first pair of courts using the thickness planer method that you wrote an article about and had a minor problem which I'm hoping you can help out with.

As the end of the core passes under the knives it bounces and chunks of the core are chipped off. It's been our good luck that the broken off chunks don't extend into the "keep" portions of the core. I notice that your core end actually hangs of the end of your wedge jig.

Do you stop the planner before the end of the core passes through?

Any insight will be appreciated.

-J