Stripped thread

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Stripped thread

Post by falls »

Hi everyone
I installed a set of binding freedom inserts to some skis today and managed to ruin the thread I tapped in the ski in one hole. It was the last of 18, so I am rightly annoyed with myself, but also well aware of murphy's law.
For those not familiar with the binding freedom inserts, you basically drill the binding mounts out a bit larger then tap a thread in this hole and epoxy the metal insert into the hole (rotating in into the threads). The insde of the insert has a fine thread that you can use to screw your bndings onto the ski. Basically allows one pair of bindings for many pairs of skis.

My basic question is how do I fix it. It is a front hole on a pair of dukes.
I chopped up some fibreglass into small pieces and mixed it with epoxy then completely filled the hole. I plan to redrill and retap into the epoxy/glass matrix then epoxy the insert in.
Anyone else have any other ideas? Anyone think one weaker screw out of 5 on the toe is going to be a big deal?

thanks
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
Jibber

Re: Stripped thread

Post by Jibber »

falls wrote: I chopped up some fibreglass into small pieces and mixed it with epoxy then completely filled the hole. I plan to redrill and retap into the epoxy/glass matrix then epoxy the insert in.
That's exactly what I would do. I think the repaired spot will even be stronger than the wood core.

Cheers, Christoph
sammer

Post by sammer »

I probably would have used hardwood dowel to fill the hole, then re-tapped it.
Your plan will work!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
falls

Post by falls »

I redrilled and tapped the epoxy/cut up glass area
The insert went in well and I epoxied it in place.
Seems to be OK. I guess the real test will be actually skiing on the pair again. Not until february :(
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....