Vertically laminated natural bamboo china direct!

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Vertically laminated natural bamboo china direct!

Post by falls »

I just got an email back from Sam Yao at Zen Bamboo in China
I put in an enquiry a few weeks back about bamboo supply direct from china mostly to see how much it cost and see how much a markup I am paying from a reseller.
I requested half inch thick (12.7mm) sheets of vertically laminated natural colour bamboo. Sheet size 2000mm x 620mm. This reduces waste at the ends of 8 foot (2400mm) sheets. Would get 2 pairs of skis out of each sheet.
Cost CNF Melbourner was US$26 a sheet. Minimum order suggested was 200 sheets. So $5200 for 200 sheets = 400 pairs of skis = $13 a pair
(I had to look up CNF, but it means including shippping to the specified port. The buyer would have to organise insurance and customs clearance then any local freight.)

For me in Australia the quotes I have had on vertlam bamboo ply 2400x1200mm (so equivalent to two of the sheets above) have been $300+ (+ local shipping).
Obviously getting it from china direct is cheaper, but having $5200 of bamboo sitting around and 400 pairs worth would just about seem like a lifetime supply for me at the moment!

Anyway. The pricing interested me and thought some of you might be interested also.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Yao-za, im bamboozeled by the tax and import from chinazee directzeee!

Is that what iggy did?
ha
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Yao-za, im bamboozeled by the tax and import from chinazee directzeee!
ha
I see what you did there.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

hahahahahaha
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
way2ski

Vertically laminated bambo

Post by way2ski »

Have you considered bambo flooring material? Just a thought.
twizzstyle

Re: Vertically laminated bambo

Post by twizzstyle »

way2ski wrote:Have you considered bambo flooring material? Just a thought.
That's what many of us use ;) Cheap/easy
zselby

Post by zselby »

Any specific brands of bamboo flooring you're using? I've had a hard time finding unfinished vertical flooring locally.
Sherpa Burns

Post by Sherpa Burns »

I've sourced it from Calibamboo. Didn't see it on the website but they have a 6" wide vertically laminated floorboard. I think they are 6' lengths. Kindy pricey and one side is finished. The finish is a pain. I have to run a few passes through the planer to take the finish off and it dulls the knives really quickly.
That being said. the boards are good quality and the bamboo makes an awesome core.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I get my boards from Bamboo Hardwoods. They are located in Seattle though, so I can just go pick it up, so it's much cheaper for me.

I pay about $25 for eight unfinished boards, they are 4" wide and 6ft length I think.
Christo

Post by Christo »

Found Bamboo Finishing Timber at Windsor Plywood. If you search there site you will find the product. it comes in 1"x4"x8' and 1"x6"x8' . I hope this helps.
Christo

Post by Christo »

Called Windsor Plywood today and the cost for the Bamboo boards are not bad. The 1x4x8' is $24 and the 1x6x8' is $32. If you purchased the 1x6 you could re-saw the board and have a bookmatched pair of cores. By the way they are vertical laminate.
grace ski

Bamboo

Post by grace ski »

We use hanlite bamboo, it is 8 year old bamboo. We are trying to source direct with them and get a CBM of bamboo 12.7 MM thick and cut to length for each ski size at 6" wide.
No more riping off tongue and groove and laminating.

If it is possible we could import for everyone on here...ship out from Denver..

www.skigrace.com
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

If it is possible we could import for everyone on here...ship out from Denver..
Count me in.
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

Same here!
~ Matt
Bloefeld

Trivia

Post by Bloefeld »

Christo wrote:Found Bamboo Finishing Timber at Windsor Plywood. If you search there site you will find the product. it comes in 1"x4"x8' and 1"x6"x8' . I hope this helps.
Anyone remember Miller Softs from the 70's? They had bamboo cores. I think the only way to stiffen the core is to add some uniaxial knit carbon fibre. Which should also make them a lot more lively. I would use the carbon between the core and the rest of the lay-up.

Cheers,

Bloefeld