What kind of wood should i use?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Freestylemaster

What kind of wood should i use?

Post by Freestylemaster »

I want to build my first pair of skis and was wondering what kind of wood i should use on my core. Thanks for any help you can give.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Look here!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Askibuilders ... wood+types

Please read read read before posting.
It saves everybody the pain of answering the same inane questions over and over and over and.....

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Freestylemaster

Post by Freestylemaster »

sorry i didnt word that right what cut of wood should i use meaning a 2x4s, 2x6s, etc.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Really doesn't matter since you'll likely be ripping it into stringers and gluing it together. Before I switched to bamboo I would usually get my wood in 1x2s that I would rip in half for the stringers.

But now I get bamboo flooring boards locally for cheap, and there's virtually nothing for me to do :)
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

With wood, I pay attention to the grain pattern. This is important to me because pullout strength can depend on the grain orientation, and in some cases it can be significant. Likewise stiffness.

On some of my skis I don't even have stringers, but just one piece of wood. True that the stringers makes the core somewhat more consistent. I've found that some of my single plank cores warp after I profile, so I have to make sure they are nice and dry.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

If you are confident you'll find your inserts, then its worth questioning whether you need to worry about stringers, especially if this is your first pair. You can use the dowel method, if your a little unsure.

Provided you are using heat cured epoxy and you have a heater, you'll be able to put the core through a heat cycle in advance of use - dimensional stability.

Good luck!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Have any of you guys ever actually pulled out an insert?!?
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Yes - thought it was only fair when allowing test riders to take things off into the back and beyond. Focused on binding inserts and ski screws, not done anything with T-nuts.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I've done it testing...I meant in real life.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

... synaptic link was down. If you mean the snowboard equivalent to this: http://www.kistler.com/US_en-us/8311_Ap ... tions.html , then surprisingly no.

Guessing the information is just a phone call away, provided they get sign you up!