density of the sheets

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Mutombo

density of the sheets

Post by Mutombo »

Hi people! I´m close to buy the reinforcement sheets but I don´t know how density is the best for the ski.I know that there are a lot of things that change the stiffness but could a medium stiff ski be made with two sheets of about 250 gr/m² on top and botton of the ski?
A shop near my house sells very cheap sheets of about 160 gr but I think this is not enough. Could I use more layers to get enough density?
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

sheets.. what kind of sheets are you talking about?

reinforcement sheets as in composites? 'fibreglass, carbon fibre, kevlar'

or plastics? wood? metal?

cheers
SCHÜSS 2011
davide

Post by davide »

Usually with a core thickness of 10-12mm, triaxial fiberglass (700-900g/m2) is used: two layers, one under and the other over the woodcore.
With thicker core the density can be lower.

If you buy 160g/m2 glass (is it UD?), you can add several layers to match the right overall weight.
Mutombo

Post by Mutombo »

I´m talking about fiberglass because is the cheappest way to build them. I´m planning to build a wood core of 10 mm thick. Last week I found a shop which sells 400 gr/m² and 200 gr/m². I want to use two fabrics of 400 under the wood core (because it´s mainly traction forces) and two layers, one of 400 and the upper one of 200 over the core.
Do you think this construction will work??

P.D. Davide did you see my last message about steel edges?? Give me an answer please!