"you building what? Are you mad?"

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

skimann20 wrote:
Have you done a base grind on them? that should go away once they are ground on.
Yes I sand the bases and they are ok now. But I don't know is it normal or how much is normal. With base only1.4 mm thick every little bit counts
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

even by no means it's cold yet. Yesterday were 40s and 50s. Wood glue does not drying as fast as in summer making core making longer as I expected.
Is going to be couple weeks before I can get propane forced air heater going in my shop. I simply afraid to bring the bases into the shop right now. Also most likely need to preheat cassette something like 80° when doing a layup this shouldn't be a problem. Overall heating definitely need to be addressed. I done work in the garage before with heater at temperatures well below freezing but heat was mostly to keep me warmer and not the stuff I'm working with.
As always one step forward 2 steps backwards :(
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

it has been a two months since my last conf....

Whoops wrong place lol

Sunday and Monday we head around here temperature swing where it went from teens to 50s for two days I had to take opportunity to make to skis because my shop let just say not heated that well :D

made identical pair to what did previously MR86 same dimensions same cotton for the top.
Maple core with IPE sidewall 2.5- 11.5- 2.5. six strips of CF tow top and bottom weight 3lb 9oz and 3lb 10.5oz skis came out extremely stiff I can barely bend them.... twist them almost impossible by hands

last time bending edges took forever this time is not. Don't know where time went by time I was ready to mix epoxy it was 9 PM. For some strange reason layup took almost 2 hours. thanks G-d for heat cure epoxy. while I kept epoxy container warm with a small electric blanket but I think once poured on the table it gets cooled off rather quickly probably it start gelled up just a little. For the next time will have heated layup table should've thought about it in the first place because I already have all components for it.
I had least of issues needed to be taken care of before this layup. Most of them small but important. Biggest and by far most complicated part of the project which held me back is core profiling table. Finally when I was almost ready to give up I found the problem and fix it. Now table only need improvement on core hold down.

now the only issue still remaining, which unfortunately I didn't prepared well is core/base shifting both skis base and the core shifts on different amounts not a lot to ruin the skis but enough to think about it. First time I use foam as a stopper it work to certain degree this time I use scraps of tip p-tex as a base stopper and when basis shifts one side went on top of them.
Another messy part was half way through the layup, when I almost finish top fiberglass layer, I remember to forgot to put VDS. Had to take apart to put VDS. Probably this mistake contributed to shifting to certain degree

So going forward issue I have is core/base shifting also minor issue with upper mold which have too much open space at the tail.
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

it took me over three years to get to the first pair. Second one went a lot faster 8)

the only problem bases and cores shifts a little creating small indentation into the bases from scrap of tip spacers I used to secure bases to cassette. Not as bad as it was looks come out of the press. At this point this is my biggest issue going forward

Thomas A. Edison
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

looking good! I like the shape and i also like when people show their errors. I think more can be learned from errors than successes. ;-) trust me, I have a lot of errors.

what are the specks/guts for these badboys.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

skimann20 wrote:looking good!

what are the specks/guts for these badboys.

made identical pair to what I did previously same dimensions same cotton for the top.
112-120-86-110 R-17m no rocker, 3mm camber

Maple core with IPE sidewall 2.5- 11.5- 2.5, 3x FG, six strips of CF tow top and bottom, VDS. Full wrap edges no torch all hardened . Weight 3lb 9oz and 3lb 10.5oz. Skis came out extremely stiff I can barely bend them.... twist them impossible by hands

after cleaned up and base sending damage was minimal and doesn't looks as bad as it was at first. From now on definitely not going to use hard object is a locators on the cassette especially for the base.
Thomas A. Edison
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Dude, last year I accidentally managed to get a 1/4" thick chunk of rubber under my cassette when I pressed a ski... I can't even remember what the rubber was for, something completely unrelated to ski-building. Don't feel so bad about a little tip spacer, it could be a lot worse! :oops:
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

twizzstyle wrote:Dude, last year I accidentally managed to get a 1/4" thick chunk of rubber under my cassette when I pressed a ski... I can't even remember what the rubber was for, something completely unrelated to ski-building. Don't feel so bad about a little tip spacer, it could be a lot worse! :oops:
as longer ski come out good and skiable I don't feel bad.

About tip spacer it's not just one.... It 3 of them on each ski all on the same site. If that spacer would've been any ticker it potentially could ruined the skis that's what I'm worried about.

with this crappy weather we having right now I got more time for ski building. Going to start working on new set of skis. Should have all new templates ready to go before weekend. This time I want to make bottom mold MDF/wood free.
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

next skis starting to shape up 8)
180cm 125-135-110w-125-115 R20 tip / tale rocker. running length 1250
I just picked up some basswood and more IPE. So core going to be Maple/basswood IPE sidewall. I might do core little bit thinner like 2–10.5–2 with carbon fiber tow top and bottom .... Will see I'm not that far into it yet
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I'm trying to finalize next ski design (dimensions in message above). This will be wide skis with bid rocker 350mm tip 200mm tail. One thing I'm not sure is ski length. I remember read somewhere general rule is rocker skis 10 cm longer over traditional skis length for the skier. Now I can't find that references.
Hope somebody can point me to the right direction
Thomas A. Edison
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Finished today my 3rd pairs of skis. This skis for the hunter friend. More less "happy people" style and purpose skis. Ever since he saw that documentary he after me for the pair. Very happy with results.
I did feel thinks differently this time around. Core Maple and basswood edges 4 pieces. Pressing/heating different full pressure 65 PSI right away and as soon it reached 65 I turn on heat 180°F all the away no intermediate soak time

145-125-130 30cm tip rocker flat tail 165cm 1800g each
my mold is flat zero camber after cooling I got about 5 mm camber

tip section of the edges imo easier to work with without removing hardness

Unfortunately my logo off-center again

Thomas A. Edison
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

carbon stringer?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

sorry forgot to mention. Carbon fiber tow five strips top and bottom. Don't know if it make it any difference on top/under of the fiberglass.

Good moment to ask about it. Does it make it any difference where CF goes between core and fiberglass or one outside of fiberglass?
Thomas A. Edison
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

They suggest closer to the core rather than above the glass.
Looks like you have a bit of edge fall. If you detemper or prebend you wont get that .
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

MontuckyMadman wrote:They suggest closer to the core rather than above the glass.
what is difference in final results? I did two times away from the glass ski feels nice stiff also fairly stiff torsionaly

Looks like you have a bit of edge fall. If you detemper or prebend you wont get that .
I know didn't prevent them well enough. Edges didn't fall in the press that's the way they went in. I don't want to detemper. Will do better job next time
Thomas A. Edison