Bamboo and Aspen Core Thickness for Park Ski and Rockered Sk

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

JLSchufman

Bamboo and Aspen Core Thickness for Park Ski and Rockered Sk

Post by JLSchufman »

So I am in the process of designing two skis, and it seems that two of my favorite companies, ON3P and Moment, use bamboo or aspen cores; I would like to make a hybrid bamoboo aspen core, and could use some help.

First is this a good idea?, or am I just gung-ho trying to combine two good things like chocolate with, o say some good cheese, and creating something terrible?

Second what ratio of aspen to bamboo do you think would be good for the following skis?

I have two skis in the works; a park ski measuring, 110-81-106 @ 179 cm with the running length being 159 cm, the tip length at 9.6 cm and the tail at 9.6 cm. I have no idea where to begin for the profile dimensions of the core. I am hoping to make this a relatively symmetrical ski, which is not symmetrical :?, that is 8-9/10 flex underfoot, but medium 5-6/10 flex through the tip and tail.

The second ski is an early taper, rockered ski. Measures 147-118-139 @ 184 with a running length of 138 cm, tip length 25.7 cm and tail 20.7 cm.

Looking to create an underfoot flex like the armada jj, stiff, and tip 6-7 stiff and tail 7-8 stiff. Would like this ski to have some pop in it, but to not have floppy tip issues, like the rossi s7. If you have ever seen a racer skiing a giant slalom ski in slo motion the gs ski dampens like none other, but is really stiff. I want to get a ski that is on the edge of being playful but still has the rigidity to have a similar damening effect as a race ski...if that is possible..

Thanks for the help in advance- more questions to come about adjusting dimensions for different lengths of the same model ski to match turn radius or to keep dimensions the same for length of ski and change turn radius... and questions about adjusting core taper for different lengths of one model ski based on the dimensions question.