what else you build?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

The advantages of compound turbo systems are enormous, you will see them come into fashion over the next 10 years I think.
The engine is what is known as ford xr6 turbo 4.0L but I have destroked mine to 3.6L to gain more rpm.
It is only released in Australian built vehicles.
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

twizzstyle wrote:Does this count?

(homemade gas turbine, using an old garrett t3... that was my shutdown procedure, gotta put out the oil fire in the exhaust nozzle :D )

Simply beautiful work gozaimaas, I'm impressed!
Here is an alternativ use of a gun like yours. http://illutron.dk/posts/329
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Ha, clever idea! Mine wasn't supposed to make flames, it's just a gas turbine engine. The fireballs I got was from an oil fire in the exhaust nozzle, every time after shutdown.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

slackercruster wrote: PS...had one guy step up to make my 24 - 32 skiboards to replace Brazen's / Brett's massive failure. Kinda sad the rest of you guys were too scared to take on the job. Hope it works out with him. If not...will be back to find another builder.
I'm sure whatever troubles Brett went thru to make your sled dogs or whatever they are, it was probably a combination of the following: 1) waiting forever for material suppliers, only to receive 2nd rate graphics/cores/etc. 2) not getting paid at least 50% up front for the order, and 3) customer requirements keep changing, requirements/designs supplied needed massive work/changes, etc.

Aside from that, you only got one person willing to do it because nobody else WANTS to do it, the people that build great skis here love skiing. The people that make snowboards love snowboarding, and most of us wouldn't think about deviating much.

Last but not least, if you want something done right, do it yourself. Then, you'll discover how much really went into getting your stuff done, and i guarantee YOUR attemts at it will suck really bad for quite a while before you come up with something good. This stuff isnt done by magic. You can clearly build some things, why not go for it?
Doug
petemorgan(pmoskico)

Post by petemorgan(pmoskico) »

I had a good time building these.... so much fun that i built two.

(they were warrantied frames from kona, they all had one big crack in the chain-stay near the drop out) easy welding, except the tubing was thin and easy to blow through.

knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

my golf funds are runnin low, so i tried my hand at building a couple.
This is a 3W and 5i hybrid. Snake Eyes model 695 heads. Aldila carbon shaft on the 3w, Apollo stepless steel on the hybrid. Golf Pride grips.
It was fairly simple and straightforward to do, just watched a couple youtubes.
Hopefully if all goes well I'll have a good report on how they perform :)
These cost about 50 bucks a pop to DIY.

Doug
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

O no u didnt... What youtube where?
Is that metal or composite?
My off season hobby for my on season hobby?
Btw im a freakshow golfer the less i golf the better i shoot. Ill go a year without swingen a club and go out and shoot a 85 legit with all penalties and no handicap.
The mors i play the worse i get.
Helps i can drive about 300 yrds consistant. Cant putt to save my life.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice clubs. I don't golf really, but I have an old set of clubs. I still have the bug to build a wooden bike. Check out renovo bikes....
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

MontuckyMadman wrote:O no u didnt... What youtube where?
Is that metal or composite?
My off season hobby for my on season hobby?
Btw im a freakshow golfer the less i golf the better i shoot. Ill go a year without swingen a club and go out and shoot a 85 legit with all penalties and no handicap.
The mors i play the worse i get.
Helps i can drive about 300 yrds consistant. Cant putt to save my life.
i can only drive about 200-220 on a good day, one could build a good snakeyes driver for about 100 bucks.
Anyway i got all the components from Golfsmith. They own the snake eyes brand.
I'm still striving to shoot below 90 :)
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

oh and the 3W is carbon shaft, the hybrid is stepless steel.
If that was your question.
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

just to the left of this photo is work benches full of CNC parts, hehe, took a break from that build to do this :)
Doug
deepskis

Post by deepskis »

If you have golfing problems, I'm a golf pro.. :D
Every turn is a sign of fear

www.deepskis.com
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

i need a golf therapist, i'm addicted ;)
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

tools needed for the job:
a rubber shaft clamp holder thingem, it's like 1.50 in a golf store
hacksaw, or a fine tooth saw
tape
marker, pencil
epoxy (prefferably with shafting beads)
grip glue strips (i used ones that are water activated)
sandpaper, 80 - 150 grit

golf club parts:
head, ferrule, shaft, grip, grip tape (above)

I prepped the shaft ends, ferrules, and glued shafts to heads in about 2 hr the nite before, then cut shafts and gripped them the next morning. Let them sit for about 3 days then swung them, i've got probably 15 rounds on these and they're awesome! :).

I cut them to size by sizing them up next to a known standard length club, marked a spot on the wall of that club's height, subtracted 1/2" and 1/4" for thickness of grip end and cut accordingly. Wrap masking tape around spot you're cutting, makes a cleaner cut especially with the carbon. Gripping can be done in 5min, and I aligned them better than the pro shop did with my girlfriend's clubs. :)
Doug
pmg

Post by pmg »

Used to build knives before I came to building skis. The main advantage of building skis is that I really love testing and using the stuff I build. Thats why I stopped the knive business for now.