what else you build?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

knightsofnii

what else you build?

Post by knightsofnii »

what else do you guys make?
I'm making beer :)

Its just a mrbeer.com kit, which is really pretty much the kraft macaroni and cheeze of beer... just pour ingredients into a pot then into fermenter and wait... but there's a gazillion flavors you can order and its fun :)

first one i made was "cold morning maple wheat", which came out awesome if you dropped a slice of lemon in the glass. Now i'm making the stock west coast pale ale.

There's also microbrew supply shops here, i'll stop by and chat with them see what kinda stuff i can do to make more authentic better tasting stuff
Doug
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

im a machinist by day and tend to modify anything made of metal.

Also dable with rx7's as myself and a bunch of locals enjoy waisting our money on them.

As of latley ive been learning C programming for microchip brand mcu's for small automation i can use at work and the snowboard end of things

-Jacob
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

We have an electronics expert on my team that knows mcu's. We went to some seminar on the TI msp430 or something. I dont know anything about that stuff but i know that you can totally wire a board with power and circuitry
Doug
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I make big messes mostly. :D I've also made a lot of furniture and cabinetry. I made a nice out door farm table this summer for the deck. Making table quilt racks for my wife's mini quilts. They're framed stands to display mini wall hangings.

I used to do a lot of photography and had started on a coffee table book (self publish) before I got into ski building. Needless to say I haven't completed my book. Photographed motocross racing for NEMA back in the late 80's.

Wrote a few screen plays on a whim. It was harder than I thought. Had a couple of inquiries on one but nothing ever materialized. It's registered w/ the Writers Guild.

DBA by day.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I'm thinking about making a fly rod. I need a small stream rod something like a 7ft 3 wt fly rod for small streams and small fish.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I made bronze and stainless western art for several years. Lots of tig welding and mold making, rubbers and calipers. Western art should be abolished.
I am a very good potter and have made several kilns and thousands of wheel thrown parts for years.
I learned how to operate an industrial sewing machine several years ago and now do maintenance on them and try to avoid production.
ride a desk and talk to rednecks all day and spend someone else money on advertising.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I build lots of things, that's basically where all of my free time goes. I do a lot with metal, because I don't typically do well with wood. My latest shenanigans is with a gas turbine engine I built using an old turbocharger. No real point other than to see if I could (that's the same reason I got into ski building!).

It seems as though each project I do becomes exponentially more complex, expensive, and dangerous.

http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v1/ ... 29268&ev=0
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

I make beer as well. I have a 15 gallon brewing system. I don't brew that much anymore because it takes many hours and its actually cheaper to just buy microbeer! I have a passion for remodeling. I used to remodel and flip real estate properties full time before the market crashed. If you like to make things check out this site: http://blog.makezine.com/. They also have a magazine that is filled with super cool things to make.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I wish I knew more about electrical stuff, how to weld and build cars. A local guy makes 1963 corvette and cobra replicas. Gets 120,000 - 160,000 for them, interesting http://www.gazettenet.com/2011/08/12/driven

I always thought being a blacksmith would be interesting, just hammer the shit out of metal all day, but then I'd probably wish I had a desk job. I got enough hobbies/projects to keep my busy for now.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Idris

Post by Idris »

My wife and I just finished painting our car, does that count?

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The van looks great! The ski-bike... looks AMAZING! :D
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I built a coil gun last year, and modded a bunch of my friends xbox controllers. I made a 5 gallon batch of petit sirah/chocolate beer last year with someone else's rig...I'd love to have the equipment :). I figured out a photo-voltaic surface for roadways that's tougher than asphalt and generates electricity, oh and a cat wheel that charges a bank of batteries...let me get out of here haha
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

i used to build climbing walls for gyms and schools all over the us.
DSC_0285 by tnk70m, on Flickr
panorama1 by tnk70m, on Flickr

but that got nasty with all the concrete and welding. the company treated us like shit so i stopped doing that.

now i just build snowboards, big ass jumps, and make sure that my snowmobile is running all winter.

after getting the CNC we have been doing some cool stuff tho.
so i guess im a cartographer/signmaker?
topotests by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Lots of talented/bright people here. If you picked any 10 people here and stuck us in a room for a day we could probably solve the energy crisis.

Brazen lets here more about the photo-voltaic asphalt project. I read where BMW was working on getting rid of alternators by using a material wrapped around the exhaust pipes that generates electricity when heated. So use this material in a parking lot, your roof, your furnace... could produce electricity, no?