New job, new town, new house… new workshop !

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ben_mtl

New job, new town, new house… new workshop !

Post by ben_mtl »

Yeah, the last few month have been pretty crazy ! Just at the end of the ski season I've been offered a new job which gave me the opportunity to do something interesting (designing snowmobiles and other toys like that) but more importantly move away from the big city !!
My dream did not yet come true as I'm not back in the Kootenays but it's definitively a huge improvement from my life in Montreal. I'm still in Quebec but now in the Eastern Townships. There are a few descent "east coast style" mountains in the neighborhood (Mount Orford is 10 minutes away from home and I'm 45 min away from Jay Peak or Sutton for those who know).
Moving out of town meant buying a house, which combined with starting a new job explains why I kept away from skibuilding the last few month (oh, and my shop is still in Montreal for now so it's not very practical…)
The house came with a "basement garage" and our bedroom is just above this garage.. Making it not suitable for my early Sunday morning skibuilding cravings! Too bad… my next item on the list became to start building a "detached garage" workshop .
I started a couple weeks ago, the concrete slab is done (what a pain to level the ground, I spent a full 3-day week-end just on that !) and the walls are up. I'm waiting for the roof trusses to be delivered today so I'll be working on the roof tonight!
The garage is 24'x20' and it's going to be fully insulated with radiant floor heating (powered by a wood/electric water heater). Making it myself I save a lot of money but it's quite a challenge as I've never done construction before! It's going pretty good for now in my opinion and hopefully it will be done by mid-august so I can finally move my ski workshop!

Here are a few pics, more will come (since the last picture, all walls are up, with air barrier on) :
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow, that's a major life changer! Taking on a lot. Looks like you got some good friends to help out. I remember working hard like that, been there, done that. So tired at the end of the day you fall asleep on the can :) Now if I can't get a project done in a weekend I don't want to start it. I think it's an FOG thing. :-)

Good Luck!
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Wow. Keep up the great work.
You're going to love that radiant floor heating. I only run mine when I am doing actual work that needs stabilized temps but it sure is nice to have.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Nice - good luck
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

trusses arrived today !
Unfortunately the truck was not able to get close to the garage and dropped all the trusses by the street, about 300ft from the garage... 13 trusses, 2 persons, 300ft... my arms are in pain ! And they are not even standing on top of the walls !

If you look closer you'll see 2 gable trusses and the other are for cathedral ceiling, I'll actually have half of the garage with high cathedral ceiling and the other half will have storage space in the attic. Can't wait to have the roof installed !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

That is SO awesome!!!
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
sammer

Post by sammer »

Lookin' good Ben, I'm so jealous.
I've been talking about building myself a shop for way too long.
Still haven't found the funding.
Still, I'm happy for you. (mutters under breath)

Get it built and then get back to building!

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)