giving up on the site?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Richuk wrote:I don't think your views are wrong and you've been here a lot longer than me. I just think there is room for a better solution.

Skibuilders have made a statement regarding copyright, granted enforcement is another issue and the situation may possibly be covered by your analysis : )

Btw - yep, up for a new site if this one falls over.
I'm not suggesting copying any of their old tutorials, which are outdated anyway.

I'm just saying that I will be deleting my threads from here and reposting them elsewhere.

If a new forum is started I will also plan on starting a new comprehensive thread with as much good data as possible including links to suppliers, links to material analysis, etc...

There is a better solution. The owners of this site, can step up and update the site, and make a commitment to continue to support it.

Are they still operating the store? Has anyone purchased anything from them recently?
OAC

Post by OAC »

I bought a T-shirt (in may 2011) and it arrived in a week.
tufty

Post by tufty »

doughboyshredder wrote:
Richuk wrote:Copy and paste and you're in breach of copyright. Kam et al put a lot of work into this and ripping it over onto another site is not what you sign up to do.
Bullshit.

Blog posts are not protected by copyright of the creator of the forum.
Not bullshit.

You are perfectly entitled to copy your own posts, as they are copyrighted by you at the moment you write them, and unless you have made a valid 204a writing to assign those copyrights across (something which requires an actual signature on an actual piece of paper, click-through doesn't cut it) that copyright remains with you.

However, if you copy and paste other people's posts, you are in breach of copyright.

IANAL, of course, nor do I play one on TV. Relying on the internet for legal advice is a bad idea. And all that.
it's not right for them to neglect the site, and even to refuse help.
Sadly, it's entirely within their rights to do this.

Whatever happens, though, please don't pull your posts down from here, even if you do put them somewhere else.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I placed an order on 6/6 (ptex,vds and edges), still have not received it. I'll give another couple days before contacting them.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I would absolutely hate to have no place to go if this server completely shits itself. I've gotten loads of info off of here and am at the point now where I feel comfortable giving back with more info that could help someone else. I have plenty of server space. So if people are serious about starting up another place to chat and share info then by all means post here or hit me up. I'm dead serious. I'll host the new site myself and won't ask for any money.

chris[at]yetiskis.com if people see this and want to throw around ideas.

We can vote on domain names and I'll set it up. I do webstuff for my real world job and don't mind doing it at all. I know I have a very small post count, but I'm serious about my offer.
amidnightproject

internal server error and a double post.
falls

Post by falls »

This whole thing is really a non issue. It seems all that really needs to be done is move the info to a new reliable server. We have offered to fund this and in reality how much would it cost, prob under $100 for a year. I reckon it's about 2 or 3 hours work. I don't see why they don't just do it.
The alternative is to start something new as a midnightproject suggests. Phpbb3 is free, just need server space, which he offers. I think a new site could have its benefits. Experienced builders could each post their own photo rich process post of how they do it. We generally discuss finer points of building now rather than referring back to older material. Another idea I thought was we could have a subscription fee as a means of paying for a server, but also as a deterrent to noobs joining and asking the same old questions. Like $5 or $10, enough to deter people joining on a whim and enough to fund a decent server for time to come.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
amidnightproject

We could setup a Wiki along side the forum for those that want to tackle writing articles for others or people starting out to follow. Like has been mentioned, a fair portion of the ski builders how-to's need to be modified or re-written. Unless we want to for-go the beginner articles and compile a how to Sticky at the top of one of the pages and point to that for new comers.

I'm serious about taking care of the hosting and domain. I've got the space and if the server becomes slow because of traffic i can upgrade my service easy enough. I use a reputable host (host gator, had it for 3 years now with maybe a day total downtime in those 3 years for maintenance on the physical server).
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

E-mailed Kam to let them know that concern is being expressed - I'm sure he'll jump in.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for voicing your concerns --- I am well ware of the server issue. It has been giving us some problems and I've been working with our host to resolve them. Currently, we're finalizing some legal paperwork and then will be moving the site to a new server as well as updating all of the content. The three of us, LittleKam, Kelvin, and I, are committed to supporting the community. If possible, if you have some suggestions on improvement, please email me directly: leangkk at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
Kam
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Glad to hear it.

My only request is not to have constant server issues.

A robust search feature would be nice as well.

Maybe a "hall of fame" forum to link to all of the important threads. I don't know how we would determine what an important thread is or not. Maybe pages of responses, or maybe a thread would have to be nominated and then voted on. Basically a catchall for the most informative threads on the site.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

Hi doughboyshredder,

Yes, we're focused on fixing the server issues -- it's a pain for sure. I like the Hall of Fame idea. Maybe we can chat off-line via email on how to make this work. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for your input!!

Kam
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Tonight I lost a lengthy post trying to tidy it up by removing a post I made that repeated 4 times. While doing so I got the usual annoying errors and then POOF the entire post was gone.

Luckily I got in the habit of typing any lengthy post into notepad or Word first and then doing a copy/paste into the forum. So re-creating the original post wasn't too bad but I lost a lot of valuable comments and feedback from the group. :evil:
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

you mean you lost an entire threads worth of replies and posts not just one post.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

MontuckyMadman wrote:you mean you lost an entire threads worth of replies and posts not just one post.
Yes! The entire thread. It really pissed me off to no end. While deleting the excess posts, my session and/or the site crashed a couple of times and then when it came back the entire thread was gone.