giving up on the site?

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

giving up on the site?

Post by doughboyshredder »

WTF?????

Haven't been on here for a couple weeks as I'm so sick of the constant failing. First time back and I try to get in to the build journals forum and bam, internal server error.

Are there any plans to fix this site, or are you guys just giving up on it? There were unaccepted offers of financial help and hosting help. What gives?

Is there any way to save the entire forum? It would suck to lose all the information on here.
OAC

Post by OAC »

It has been on and off but the F5 button is a feasible "work around" for the moment.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

the internal server errors aren't that bad...refreshing helps.
doughboyshredder

I get an internal server error about 50% of the time.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

well, there was a time when the entire forum didn't work at all for like a week ;) i'm just glad all the info isn't lost.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

doughboyshredder wrote:I get an internal server error about 50% of the time.
like exactly half the time. Pretty insane.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Computers...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I'd say 50% is about right. I'd hate to see all the research and info lost or die a slow death because it unreliable and people stop contributing because of it.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

skidesmond wrote:
I'd say 50% is about right. I'd hate to see all the research and info lost or die a slow death because it unreliable and people stop contributing because of it.
ha- got an internal server error posting the above....
doughboyshredder

Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Copy and paste and you're in breach of copyright. Kam et al put a lot of work into this and ripping it over onto another site is not what you sign up to do.

The beauty of the site is that is exists in layers, from starter to start-up. If at some point it falls over, then the only people who will effectively lose out are the starters, however, if you have frustration and want to set up a site, then perhaps it would be helpful to deal with the following issues:

1. We currently sharing our ideas with the world
2. We tend to run our ideas in parallel, which causes us collectively to waste money
3. There is a limited amount of referencing to source information and or data, accordingly we do not subject our views to proper rigour and corroboration
4. There is a limited amount of sharing of technically data
5. There is no means to collectively validating the data we collect

In essence, we don't leverage to our specific advantage i.e. we exist collectively, as a committed group of ski and snowboard builders.

On the flipside - it a good place to shoot the breeze.
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

might i suggest that we start to compile and create a skibuilder wiki page? that way all the info stored in the forum can be arranged for searching (and newb questions) leaving the forum with less giant posts? using a wiki we can all contribute and leave it to the moderators/ourselves to make sure that the info is valid. yes it would be more work but i think it would separate the raw info from the years of posts that only have 1 or two replies.
doughboyshredder

Richuk wrote:Copy and paste and you're in breach of copyright. Kam et al put a lot of work into this and ripping it over onto another site is not what you sign up to do.
Bullshit.

Blog posts are not protected by copyright of the creator of the forum.
doughboyshredder

What pisses me off the most is that there have been offers of financial help and hosting help which were rebuffed.

I know the guys that started this site are busy, but a lot of us have put a lot of time and effort in to providing excellent information and it's not right for them to neglect the site, and even to refuse help.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I don't think your views are wrong and you've been here a lot longer than me. I just think there is room for a better solution.

Skibuilders have made a statement regarding copyright, granted enforcement is another issue and the situation may possibly be covered by your analysis : )

Btw - yep, up for a new site if this one falls over.