QCM Epoxy

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Wow, sounds like i got the last batch of QCM! Thanks for all the updates. I like entropy but I thought they eliminated the small quantities of compression super sap??
sammer

Post by sammer »

MontuckyMadman wrote:I would not recommend west system epoxy for skis.
I used the marine off the shelf pumpable. Its not damp and is not formulated for compression molding. I used both the 105/205 and the 105/206 systems. The properties were much improved when using heat but not what you want IMO.
West systems work OK.
My first pair of fatties are 4 years old and have close to 100 days on them.
They are still holding together, still have all of their camber, though they have softened up a bit.
The only issues I've had with west is price and the hardener pumps stop pumping.
If your in a pinch try it.

I ordered 2 gallons of EMV-0045 when I got the news QCM were stopping production.
Still have 1/2 gallon of ECA-032 hardener. So should be alright for a few more pair.
Hopefully by then I will have found something else.

Compared to QCM everything else is stupid expensive.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

You're right about the stupid expensive. The CPM is about 790 plus tax AND shipping for me in the 10 gallon resin/5 gallon hardener config. Good grief.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
erlabs

Super Sap CPM kits now available!

Post by erlabs »

After several weeks of requests from the SkiBuilders community about making CPM available in smaller kits, we are pleased to announce your requests were heard and we will once again be offering our CPM kits in smaller quantities. There have been a few changes made to the new system. Prior to discontinuing retail kits for our compression molding system, some of you had been using our 1100 Hardener. The new CPL Hardener replaces this system with the following adjustments…

1) Longer Pot Life – at regular room temp you will get up to an hr of working time
2) Faster Heat Accelerated Cures – 15 min at 180F
3) Low Order – all the speed, less noxious fumes
4) Higher Modulus – resulting in stiffer composites
5) Lower Viscosity – for easier fiber wet out

Things that have not changed…offering a bomber, user friendly, eco friendly, bioderived epoxy system. Kits are available in 3qt, 1.5gal, and 3gal quantities and you can order directly from the link below…

http://entropyresins.com/products/super-sap-cpm

Still wondering if this is the right system for you…checkout these commercial products hitting stores this winter.

http://www.nichesnowboards.com/
http://www.voelkl.com/skis/touring/tour ... q-eco.html

Our CPM system is also good for any compression-molded part such as skateboards and kiteboards. If you are using vacuum molding with room temp cures checkout our line up of ambient cure systems (Super Sap 100/1000 and Super Sap CLR).

I apologize for the commercial nature of this post but I figured you guys would be happy to know this. As always, we love the support of this DIY community and hope it continues in the future.

Thanks!
Desi of Entropy Resins
erlabs

Post by erlabs »

Also for the next couple weeks we will be running a promo for you guys. 10% off all online orders. Just use the coupon code: SKIBUILDERS at checkout and you'll get the discount.

Thanks!
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Right on Desi!
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

is that 10% off everything??? including 5-55gal?? what a deal! i will be ordering soon. (and getting $200 off maybe)

i recently had a chance to stop by the entropy mixing plant in LA, cali. during our recent road trip. great spot in downtown (i guess??) LA, looks like they have enough raw product for everyone! the whole crew is stoked to be using this revolutionary system, i would recommend it to everyone. in our tests riders could not tell the difference between QCM and entropy, and i preferred working with entropy the whole time!

really excited to keep working with cool companies.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I don't know if this is a viable opportunity - is there any merit in someone producing pre-cured fibreglass available to skibuilders?

The advantages might be as follows:

More people get access to Entropy - less work for the company
Keeps the press in business
More skibuilding - you wouldn't need a big ol press to get started, a simple vac would do