Ski tip radius

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ross

Ski tip radius

Post by ross »

Hey guys,

Just trying to sort out the final design to our first pair of skis, was just wondering what radius you made your tips and the hight of the tips at the ends.

Cheers for any help

Ross
kelvin
Site Admin

re: ski tip radius

Post by kelvin »

On our first mold, we used about 7" radius and on the mold we just built, it is about 6". The tips will relax when you pull it out of the press. These numbers are pretty arbitrary as is the tip height, we sort of just eye ball it. It is hard to tell any difference in ski performance due to tip shape, unless they are really low profile (like the ahmas), then they tend to dive into soft snow.

-kelvin
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

welcome Ross!

yeah, Kelvin's right, we just went with our gut instincts. it's doesn't matter too much as long as there's sufficient curvature. our Ahmas have a really low-profile tip, but performance isn't much affected, however, we could use more tip-curvature in deep snow. one quick and easy way to trace out the curve is to use a dinner plate... :D
windsurfer

Post by windsurfer »

but whats the maximum radius that you can bend? when will the core break? sure, that depends on the wood. Lets say maple, for example.

And how much will the ski relax after talling it out of the press?

I think its very difficult to bend the wood. and Im afraid, that the ski breaks on my first ride in the park! :?
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

hey windsurfer,

i think you're talking about minimum radius you can bend right? i guess it really depends on a lot of factors specific to your core such as wood type, tip/tail thickness, etc. my cores are 2-3mm thick in the tips and tails and using mainly maple my tip radii range from 150mm to 200mm. i haven't had any problems so far.

as for the relaxation i honestly haven't taken good measurements of the change. i tend to get a little too excited about the actual ski and often forget to measure certain parameters.

it can be difficult to bend wood. however, if you keep your tip and tail core thicknesses around 2-4mm you should have no problem at all bending the wood without breaking. if you want to make your tips stronger for the park you can add more fiberglass around these areas.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
windsurfer

Post by windsurfer »

thanks, littlekam!!

(yes, i meant the minimum radius.)