Radius drawing

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nech71

Radius drawing

Post by nech71 »

Hi,

I was wondering how to draw the radius of my skis. As the center of the radius is not at the center of the skis, you have a shorter length to the tail and a longer one to the tip. How to design the radius then ?

Thanks a lot

Cheers
Greg

Post by Greg »

I don't use CAD to draw my skis, but to draw a radius, I put a pin at either end of the radius. Then I take a long thin piece of wood and bend it to the curve I want. Then, I take a pencil and trace the curve. It is a pretty primitive method, but it seems to work really well, and produces pretty nice curves. The only problem is that it is pretty hard to determine what the radius of the curve is with this method.
woodi

Post by woodi »

with gregs method you could mark 3 points of the curve...either end and the midpoint then bend to those 3 marks and that would give you a more consistent...known...curve.
Greg

Post by Greg »

with gregs method you could mark 3 points of the curve...either end and the midpoint then bend to those 3 marks and that would give you a more consistent...known...curve.
That's pretty much what I do, I just use pins at the ends because I am not coordinated enough to hold both ends, bend the stick, and draw at the same time ;)