Where can I get 5 pair of 56cm ski skates made?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

slackercruster

Post by slackercruster »

They would be standard ski construction, twin tip, symmetrical design with 4 x 4 x 6mm inserts, center mounted for Bomber non release bindings, high carbon steel edges. Tops can be solid colors like red, blue. green or rich bronze.

Can spend a few thousand $ to get em made. I'm willing to pay for mold, template, etc.

Specs are:

56cm overall.
Tip 12 cm
Waist 10.5 cm
Tail 12 cm

I emailed about 8 custom ski / board builders on the web...turned up zero. No one will build them.

Who could make them for me?

Forum wont let me post a photo. If you want a sample photo of what I want, PM me.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

hmmm. weird.
56cm thats tiny. For adults or kids?
http://www.curtissportconnection.com/Snow_Blades.htm
Most of these are atleast 99cm.
Are you fruitbooting for gnar points all year? Bring your tutu.
What is the application?
Does the core need to taper?
Most of this type of thing is made of foam I would assume. Do these need to flex?
I could make these for a couple K.
Post the link and we will turn it into a pic.
put x's in from of the url or something.

like this?
http://www.tias.com/1046/PictPage/1920713536.html
slackercruster

Post by slackercruster »

They are for adults. I ride Bigfoot 63 up to 99's.

I would like to retire the goofy looking Bigfoot.

The Koreans make a 47, but it is all alum and no steel edges.

...still can't do the photo
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

MontuckyMadman wrote:

like this?
http://www.tias.com/1046/PictPage/1920713536.html
Bahahahaha love it!!!!

Did you say youd offer a few thousand for five pair of snowlerblades?
Doug
sammer

Post by sammer »

I think he means like this,
the top one would be a bigfoot I'm guessing.

http://www.ski-injury.com/specific-sports/skiboard

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

We mounted up a pair of these tele a few years ago.
The way these are made you may have to pony up some cash fpor molds and such.

I remember those bigfoots being trad sandwich I thought.
Just need one to reverse build.

meh.
The precursor to the modern skiboard was the BigFoot – manufactured by Kneissl Dachstein. First introduced in 1991 and measuring 63cm in length, the original BigFoot featured a foam core, p-tex base and trademark 'toes' on the tip. Users wore standard ski boots secured to the boards with non-release clip bindings attaching to the heel and toe of the boot.
Ill build it, I have no soul.
slackercruster

Post by slackercruster »

Still can't post photos here. Keeps rejecting my post.

If you know what an old 90 cm Line 5-0 looks like. I want to get that made just 56 cm long. Same specs as the 5-0.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Line Five-O ( Discontinued)
Lenght: 90 cm
Tip/Waist/Tail Width: 11.9/10.4/11.9 cm
SideCut: 8.5 m
Tail/Tip Height: N/A
Stance Back From Center: 0
Running Length: N/A
Binding Pattern: 4x4
Core: Wood
Base: N/A
Graphics: N/A
Last edited by MontuckyMadman on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slackercruster

Post by slackercruster »

Yep, the boards on the left are 90 cm Line 5-0's. I painted mine with bronze hammertone paint as the graphics are ugly and the white had turned blotchy color.

They were made in Canada in the late 1990s'

Cap or not cap? Don't know? The graphics are sublimated, that is all I can say.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I'm posting this because I have a fondness for history and goofy or not line a(nd snowlerblades) had a major influence on indie progressive ski design.
slackercruster wrote:Hi,

If you can post the following for me I'd apprectate it. Tried about 10 times all diff ways and no go.

Thanks

My post:

Here are the Line 5-0's 90cm's skiboards with bronze hammertone painted tops the 56 boards will be modelled after.

Line started out with skiboards back in the late 1990's, then discontinued them and went on to just long twin tips. Skiboards were the grandaddy of all the long twin tips made nowadays.

And the Bigfoot from the 1980's was the grandaddy of the short twin tip skiboards of the 1990s.

(Actually there were some other ones being made by ice skaters in the early part of the century too. So hard to pinpoint the exact one that can lay claim to the short ski revolution. Some long skis also claim to be the first twin tips as well.)

Problem with Bigfoot is they are too goofy. But more important, the bindings are crap and sometime come undone while skiing. They don't accept 4 x 4 mounts so nothing can be done with the cheap bindings.

So, I want to get some pro quality 56's made to retire my goofy 63 Bigfoot boards.

Some commonly asked questions?

No they are not good in powder or moguls, best on groomed snow up to light crud. (Although some riders do like them in powder if they stay on the last few inches of the tail and water ski through it.) Hot wax also wears off quicker since they are so short. I re-wax after 3 or 4 - 2 hour sessions.

No, they are not as fast as long boards. But still pretty fast and they feel fast as hell since they are so short. Like being on roller skates going down a hill.

Plus side... they are easy to carry, easy to hot wax and tune, no poles and heavy crap to carry round either.

And very easy on the knees, even with non release bindings. The only time I've hurt my knees on skis was with long boards with trad bindings. Have been using skiboards exclusively for 6 years with tons of falls and no knee problems.

Just don't catch the boards under a root or something. Then you have problems with non release. But they do make releasable bindings for the guys or gals that wont go non release.

You don't ski upright with feet together. You ski them like inline skates. Wide stance, bent knees, no poles. They are easy to turn and harder to balance front and back than long boards.

Why do I like them?

For the above reasons. Plus great balance training when you get old. And fun as hell to ski on. The long boards are crutches for balance training. Take away the length and come down to a 60cm ski and see for yourself.

But if I was young and doing long gap jumps I'd go with long boards, unless I was king of balance...then I'd still stick with skiboards.

I came up with 56 length for my custom boards from doubling the center to tail length of the Bigfoot. The toes make up lots of wasted length, so discounted them. If the 56's come out good, will re-order another 5 pair in 46cm length. There is a limit with shortness, but don't know where it is at. But i am willing to throw some $$ at it for my own experience.

BTW, I've also tried grass skis, Sleddogs, but did not like em. Although grass skis are popular in Europe (I hear)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_skiing

http://www.sleddogsskates.com/index.php ... 4&Itemid=5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiboarding

For board fun, Iike longboarding on Carveboards and Carvestiks

Yes this is a cap construction.
Lets cut one open.
Yes it would be expensive to make a cap snowlerblade.

You may be able to get the same performance from a sandwich construction but the weight may be more. Not like it matters on a ski thing that small I would assume.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

so whats the deal?
can we slice one of these up and take some measurements or what?

You got takers to build these?
slackercruster

Post by slackercruster »

Yea, got a taker to build em.

My plan is to build some 56's, then some 46, then possibly some 90's to replace the 90 Line 5-0's.

Nothing wrong with the 5-0's. To me they are the perfect skiboard to me. But the cartoonish graphics are crap. And the original white color they used is that turning an ugly shade of yellowish ivory with age. So I paint them hammertone bronze as in the photo. The paint holds up surprisingly well but it does get scratched up somewhat over time. But hammertone paint is easy to touch up.

While I have 7 or 8 pairs of each skiboard as backups, I don't want to cut them up. They are too hard to come by. So unless it is a must, I wont cut one up.

Will post the photos here if and when 56's get made.

If anyone else wants to build em, just let me know. If your price is reasonable I will give you a try. Whomever builds the best 56's, can build the rest of the boards.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Nobodys gonna ggo thru all that retooling and r&d just for yyou to pick someone else... just sayin
Doug
slackercruster

Post by slackercruster »

OK guys. I always come through.

Here are the 56 prototypes. Got them today. Put some Bombers on em and hitting the crud tomorrow to test. They have some cosmetic flaws as they are prototypes, but they are still pretty nice.

btw, the Line 5-0 are cap boards.

slackercruster

Post by slackercruster »

Check this out...

56 Customs
63 Bigfoot
90 Line 5-0 (Painted hammertone bronze)

OK...if your a 'long fellow', go for the MNP 99's. I wont discriminate.