multiple edeges in the base

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

libertie

multiple edeges in the base

Post by libertie »

i'm looking into making a pair of twins for all mtn. / park skiing and i was wondering if any of you super duper smart people could fill me in on how burton,atomic,elan and dynastar can put edges inside the base of the ski.
Greg

Post by Greg »

What do you mean by inside the base of the ski? Do you mean that the ski has an edge on either side, then one in the center of the base? As far as attaching the edges to the base of the ski, check out the rest of this site. I am not really sure what you would get out of having edges in the center of the base.
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

supposedly the extra edge helps prevent damage from grinding on rails, concrete, etc. i would try routing out a slot where you want the edge to go and tack the edge in place.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
BigG

Post by BigG »

Biggie

Post by Biggie »

its probably just a slot cut in the base with another edge tacked on. but personally i think that extra edge business is crap, its not gong to stop the main edges from cracking and falling out,

also i beleive what dynastar did was put a metal plate above the edge between the core and the edge(not an extra edge sticking out of the base), hope it works cause i love tm's but the edges are crap on rails.
BigG

Post by BigG »

The dynastars are really great. I bought this year the skicross pro and they ski really great.
Ice and hard snow are no problem at all.
libertie

Post by libertie »

^you were right dynastar did'nt put an extra edge but the reinforced it like mad. but atomic did. go here http://winter.atomicski.com/technology.php and its like the 2nd one down