Success Rates

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Bristolandy

Success Rates

Post by Bristolandy »

Hi,

I stumbled across this website whilst doing some research for a design project at my university in the UK (Bristol Univeristy).

For our project we are looking to construct a composite bow arm for a crossbow. This may sound a little strange, however a ski has almost exactly the properties we are looking for (light and good flexibility) and are therefore potentially looking to construct our own cross bow arm (ski!).

As we are limited by time and budget constraints it is likely that we will get only 1 or 2 attempts to form our ski before the project deadline. Our access to equipment is good (being at a univeristy) and I have had some experience of working with composites/epoxy resin.

I was wondering (bearing in mind we will need to construct the press/mold also) how likely it is that we would have a useable ski after only 1 or 2 attempts at the process. We have no real interest in the end aesthetics, but are looking for good flexibility. How successful was your first attempt(s) at home made ski's?

Many thanks

Andy Vineer
Engineering Design - Bristol Univeristy
endre

Post by endre »

the problems with skis are getting the edges correct, topsheet nice, base flat etc. woithout those components, probably perfect at seccond attempt..