Looking for edges

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

NeilG

Looking for edges

Post by NeilG »

Due to the ski builders store being currently out of edges

(I emailed the store support and Kelvin replied they should be back in stock in 2 or 3 weeks, edges are shipping from Austria...)

I'm wondering if anybody has four edges they would be willing to sell so that I can build a pair of skis (don't worry, I'll continue to keep the store up and running with my business, this is just a temporary need!).
They need to be the same dimensions as the store's edges (1.33 mm step) since I already bought the base material. Or at least I assume it would help if they're the same size...

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Neil
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

i may have some extras at that size. how long do you need them to be?
i will measure when i get down to the factory. im local so it would be easy to get them to you.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

snowboard materials has them in stock
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

They need to be around 188 cm long.

I noticed the snowboard materials edges the other day. Do you have any experience with them, and if they'll fit with the base material (1.3mm thick) offered by the skibuilders store?
I guess what I'm getting at is, does a difference in step size between an edge and the base thickness really matter that much?
Will a base grinder grind the surface flat pretty easily regardless of how well the base thickness and edge step size match up?

Thanks
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

same edges I believe. IMO a .1mm difference between edge and base won't affect anything.
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Edges = ordered!

Thanks!

However, another quick question.
It says the edges are primed...
Does this mean I should take the primer off with a wire brush on a drill/get them sandblasted?
Or are they good to go on my skis?
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Another thought is to contact some of the local ski companies in Colorado.
I know there are a few in the Boulder/Foothills area.

I did the same here in Cali and ended up helping them out with manufacturing. I got hooked up with materials, a little cash and a lot of knowledge.
falls

Post by falls »

Hey Neil
My understanding of edges is that you can get three surface preparations
1. Bare metal - you sandblast these yourself before layup to improve adhesion
2. Sandblasted - already blasted. These will be prone to rust quickly if not used.
3. Primed - a type of coating (paint) on the metal that helps it stick to epoxy resin. The primer can be either grey or gold. I think the grey is newer/better.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 6&start=30
there is a link in the last post of this thread that if you read through it will find info on the primer.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....