LeBoeuf's generic build thread

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Thanks guys!
I've never really been much of a router guy (loud and messy!), so I've been trying to get all the practice I can with using template bits/etc before I make my mold pieces.
This project gave me one last practice shot before I start making my actual ski components...

So I ended up picking up 10 8'x4' sheets of formica for $40! I'm hoping that with a bunch of release wax I can use them as cassette pieces. I think I have enough formica for a lifetime of shop built tools...
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Finally got 2 full days off from work and made some progress....

New template:
The Arg's and brewskis are on loan from a friend

Molds in progress:
The router table rocked!

leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Just noticed I missed a pic :D

Lay of the land:
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Another somewhat lame post.... Progress has been a little slow. We did finally have a storm roll through so hopefully I'll be able to take my skis out without driving deep into Colorado...

Hose finished:

Cat track was finished last night:

Just need to finish off the top mold filler blocks. Hopefully I'll be able to test the press out tonight :)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Does your heat blanket end before it gets to that big flat spot at the end of the tip mold?
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

I probably wont pursue heat until next season.
I think I see what youre getting at though. I'll probably knock those corners off on the bandsaw if things bind up when I test it out
EricW

Post by EricW »

Have you pressurized it in the press yet?
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

I finally got the press tested out! I hid behind my table saw with ear muffs on just to be on the safe side... Kinda got my heart rate going...
I ran it up to 60psi with no major issues. I'll need to add some more spacers and trim off the sharp corners on my bottom mold, but other than that I think it's good to go.

EricW

Post by EricW »

Nice job dude. Depending on what my Christmas bonus looks like this morning, I think I'm going to build a similar design this week.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

60psi wow, that's great! Looking good!
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Great work.

You might not need to cut the mold, if your cassette ends short of this mark.

Do you know what pressure you will press at?
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Nice job!
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Thanks all.
Eric, honestly the press was one of the cheaper parts of this. Probably about $100 for the steel and welding wire, and about $50 for the two beams and their hardware.

Rich, the cat track unfortunately bound up on the corners... On the plus side it should only take me a few minutes on the bandsaw to fix the issue.
I'm planning on running the press at 40psi.

Also the hard-board I used cracked at the tip curve. I think I'm going to cut a cassette out of the formica I picked up and see how it does. I'm kind of worried that it won't provide enough protection to keep the cat track from making indentions into the ski.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

we still got cattrack indentations in the tip area with 1 piece of 16ga al. we went to 2 pieces and no probs so far.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

leboeuf wrote:Thanks all.
Eric, honestly the press was one of the cheaper parts of this. Probably about $100 for the steel and welding wire, and about $50 for the two beams and their hardware.

Rich, the cat track unfortunately bound up on the corners... On the plus side it should only take me a few minutes on the bandsaw to fix the issue.
I'm planning on running the press at 40psi.

Also the hard-board I used cracked at the tip curve. I think I'm going to cut a cassette out of the formica I picked up and see how it does. I'm kind of worried that it won't provide enough protection to keep the cat track from making indentions into the ski.
I had the same problem with hard-board (white and brown). I bought 1mm al sheet metal. Haven't used it yet but should help. Last ski I made I used hard-board and slipped a piece of al flashing underneath the tip area. It helped. Two pieces probably would have been better.