Section8 Cheetahs-Dachshunds

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

EricW

Post by EricW »

The wood whisperer is one of my favorite web sites.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I did find a forum that described how to tune the jointer (not joiner). That video was excellent and far more detailed than what I found. The jointer he has is extremely nice. Mine doesn't have the 4 corner adjust for the tables. So I'll have to figure something else out, perhaps go back to shims and get a proper gauge as well. :?

Not giving up yet. Thanks!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

After doing some more research, I might be asking too much from my jointer. But a parallelogram jointer should do the trick, enables you to keep the tables co-planar. OAC - That's the type in the video clip. Of course they are more expensive.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Paral ... ter/G0604X

versus what I have

http://grizzly.com/products/G1182ZHW

:?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Set back on the jointer core method.... After trying to fix one set of the cores, and a trying a new technique,.... well,.... it didn't work out. I ended up trashing the cores and making a new set. Which also means I'll have to make another planer crib to profile the cores. Might be another week or so before make any progress on the skis.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Making a little progress. Made the new cores. Been screwing around w/ a new planer crib. It's an adjustable crib. After 2 unsuccessful adjustable cribs I think I have one that seems to be working ok. I planed a set of cores that will be 152cm (3-9.5-3) and another core that will be 180cm (3-12-3). I'll post details in "Equipment Tools" when I get the shop cleaned up an take some pics.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Finally got time to layup the Cheetah ski today. For the first time I used tip spacers. I used left over P-tex.

Had a minor freak out. I ordered the 20 oz triax FG (fiber lass) with carbon fiber (CF) stingers from http://www.snowboardmaterials.com. When I opened the box I saw the CF running in the middle of the FG. I assumed it was interwoven through out the entire width of the FG. But the CF was only down the center. Luckily the FG on each side for the CF was just wide enough for the ski. So I cut the FG out from the sides and put the CF aside. I'll use the FG w/ CF strings in another pair of skis. Disaster avoided.

I took the Cheetah skis out of the press and first impressions are good. But I used black tip spacer and it look noticeably darker in the tip area underneath the cheetah material than the rest of the ski..... didn't think of that cosmetically...., not a show stopper but but a little disappointed. I'll let them sit for a day or 2 before I start the finish work.

The dachshund material has a black background so that shouldn't be an issue. I got the the edges glued on for the dachshund bases. I'll lay them up tomorrow.

That's it for now.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Finally got time to layup the Cheetah ski today. For the first time I used tip spacers. I used left over P-tex.

Had a minor freak out. I ordered the 20 oz triax FG (fiber lass) with carbon fiber (CF) stingers from http://www.snowboardmaterials.com. When I opened the box I saw the CF running in the middle of the FG. I assumed it was interwoven through out the entire width of the FG. But the CF was only down the center. Luckily the FG on each side for the CF was just wide enough for the ski. So I cut the FG out from the sides and put the CF aside. I'll use the FG w/ CF strings in another pair of skis. Disaster avoided.

I took the Cheetah skis out of the press and first impressions are good. But I used black tip spacer and it look noticeably darker in the tip area underneath the cheetah material than the rest of the ski..... didn't think of that cosmetically...., not a show stopper but but a little disappointed. I'll let them sit for a day or 2 before I start the finish work.

The dachshund material has a black background so that shouldn't be an issue. I got the the edges glued on for the dachshund bases. I'll lay them up tomorrow.

That's it for now.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Got any pics?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

skidesmond wrote: I used left over P-tex.
What kind? Base material? Did you double up the layers or something? Also if base material did you sand and flame treat the non treated side?
OAC

Post by OAC »

skidesmond wrote:
Great with progress! Will we see the work or do we have to wait after the "workshop-clenup"? ;-)

I had the same experience(cosmetically) with mine. But they feels almost mechanical perfect. Test runs to come

Time for skiing soon?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

DBS - It was P-tex base material. I glued to sheets together for the spacers. I sanded the smooth side and that's the sides I glued together. I didn't flame treat. Probably should have. I made sure they held together before I used them.

OAC - I worked on the skis tonight. Not quite done yet. Still need finishing touches but here's a few pics :

Cheetahs out of the press:

The bases are blue, I also used blue painters tape to protect them:

partially cleanup:

The tip spacer fit nicely. Still getting some edge fall. Very annoying. The other ski was worse. I was able to clean some of the epoxy out and re-glue and clamp it. We discussed the cause of edge fall in detail on my last build. I know this time it wasn't because of the hose hitting the top of the cassette. I think it's the cassette. I'm using 1/8 inch white hardboard. It happens to have a crack in the same place the edge fall occurs. Need to get a sheet of aluminum.

The press sprung a leak. Not terribly bad but the compressor cycled on every 20 min or so. Stuck some plumbers putty and duct taped the crap out of it just to get though the build. So that's getting fixed properly.

That's it for now. Football game is on (Patriots vs Jets)
OAC

Post by OAC »

I use a steel sheet. 1,5 mm and I do run the bases, with the edges mounted, in the press for a couple of minutes in advance so they will behave in the final pressing with the rest of the materials.
I don't know if it does any good, but no probs yet!

Who won the game?
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

OAC wrote:I use a steel sheet. 1,5 mm and I do run the bases, with the edges mounted, in the press for a couple of minutes in advance so they will behave in the final pressing with the rest of the materials.
I don't know if it does any good, but no probs yet!

Who won the game?
Patriots 45 Jets 3, a total blow out . :D
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I think a pre tip bend will totally eliminate the edge fall.

AL is a must IMO.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

MontuckyMadman wrote:I think a pre tip bend will totally eliminate the edge fall.

AL is a must IMO.
I agree.

Picked up 2 sheets of 1 mm AL today. Hope this solves the tip fall on the dachshunds skis.