nomex honeycomb

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I may be dating myself in saying this but didn't Hexell (?) make skis with a honeycomb core. After reading an earlier post I seem to recall those skis. I did not ride on any of them though....
ra
teleman36

nomex honeycomb

Post by teleman36 »

With age comes wisdom. I use this line when I need to impress the younger crew and it allows me to gain a moment to try and remember the answer or sometimes even the question. You are correct. Hexel did make an alu. honeycomb ski. The walls of the comb were vertical. It looked just like one layer of a beehive laid flat. But this is the real cool part. The core material would be pressed or shut together sort of like an accordion. A core for a 190cm. ski would nd up being less than 4 in. by what ever the ht. was. The taper was then milled into a temporary [solid]block of alu. Then of course it would be pulled open for layup. Really sweet skis. One or my skibuddies still brings his pair out a few times a year. So all you engineers out there here is a new thread to put your brains to. I believe that the patent has run out.