Overview molds and presses

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

BigG

Overview molds and presses

Post by BigG »

Hy,

I would like to suggest to collect pictures from all your molds and presses in this topic.

The things I'm wondering about are there possibilities to make molds which are adjustable in length and camber?

Maybe we can collect some ideas and find the optimal press and molds?

If you have a look at the following movie you will see they are using fixed molds for every type and size of ski which are pressed in the same hydraulic press. Way too expensive for amateurs like we are.
http://www.telemarktips.com/video/factory9.mpg (82MB)

Let's see what you have.

Geoff
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

Most of the adjustable mold I've seen have made the ends slide back and forth. As you slide the tips and tail pieces around, it changes the camber and sometimes the curve of the tip. It is also more difficult to get a smooth transition if you make it moveable.

One thought that I've had, but haven't tried yet, is to have the ribs of the mold run laterally, rather than longitudonally. This seems like it would be easier to change length since you can add or subtract pieces in the middle to change lengths and not mess with the curves of the tips and tails. It would also make camber adjustments easier since the rails are straight pieces rather than long curved ribs. I'm going to make our next mold this way, but if anyone tries it before I do, let us know how it works.

-kelvin
chugach

Post by chugach »

I would really like to see some detailed pics of sandwich "cassettes" esp. like those in the videos-------I know that this type of cassette is not condusive to one-off design, but I'm trying to address other issues, --consistency------ie the elusive white elephant in the world of home-builders
paw33

Post by paw33 »

[quote="kelvin"I'm going to make our next mold this way, but if anyone tries it before I do, let us know how it works.

-kelvin[/quote]

Hi kevin, I was wondering of you ever did this type of mold? I would love to see it if possible. If not some detailed pics from the regular casettes will be nice too.
Thanks
paw33 AT hotmail DOT com
Mauro
Riding for Life!!!
Chile