Shaped, profiled cores with ptex attached-interested?

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

COsurfer

Shaped, profiled cores with ptex attached-interested?

Post by COsurfer »

Hello, I am thinking about selling poplar cores, profiled, shaped, Ptex attached, drilled holes. I wanted to check the interest for a product like this. Here is a pic of my latest:

Cost would be at around $100. Cheaper price for larger orders. PM me if you think you would be interested. If you want to check out how I make my cores go to www.ozsnowboards.com, click on the "oz process" icon.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

WAY overpriced imo.

I mean really you can get the same thing for less than 50 bucks from the existing suppliers.

If you're not doing a lot of volume there is simply no possible way to make even remotely enough profit to make this a worthwhile venture.

I just noticed that snowboard materials pricing has gone up some, I haven't priced wednesday yet this year.

SBM cores are profiled and drilled, but they have to be shaped and the sidewalls aren't glued on, but that's not worth 50.00 imo.

Wed, has minimum order of 15, so that's not an option for some people.

Also, keep in mind that you will have to really have super dry wood if you're planning on profiling and shaping cores to custom specs. If your wood is not completely cured by the time they get to your customer they may not be within the measurements they specified.

May be a reasonable idea, but IMO, you would need to be at least 25.00 lower, and even then, I would think that you'd be a bit overpriced.
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Thanks for the input doughboy. At $75 I couldn't even cover my expenses. I was just throwing it out there for feedback. I thought there might be some interest in a precisely machined board with the sidewalls attached but it doesn't sound like it. I was just trying to keep a buddy busy who is out of job. And what does IMO stand for?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

COsurfer wrote:Thanks for the input doughboy. At $75 I couldn't even cover my expenses. I was just throwing it out there for feedback. I thought there might be some interest in a precisely machined board with the sidewalls attached but it doesn't sound like it. I was just trying to keep a buddy busy who is out of job. And what does IMO stand for?
In my opinion.

yeah, that's the problem, it's pretty much impossible to be competitive with snowboard materials unless you have volume and the processes dialed to where they take little to no time.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

last time i had cores that were "the works" like this: fully profiled with ptex attached, holes, even the strips i wanted in the spots i wanted with no fingerjoints, and an inner wooden strip that went along the sidecut like the sidewall. All of that was $35/ea. for like a 25 core order.
Doug
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

Dang, I guess I am way off base. Thanks for the input.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

How u making them?? Got a cnc?? The most expensive parts are coming up with the methods and processes. And if youre doing this by hand with router bridge or planer cribs etc it will always be more expensive. Even the core guy i used last was unwilling to do certain extra things i wanted because that would involve interrupting the flow of his processes then the cores become "custom" and price skyrockets. Come up with quick methods to make a couple variations of blanks, and a method of profiling them quickly and a curately and u can be competitive. Oh and add the 4x2 machine gun insert pattern ;)
Doug