Error

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

My Press Frame is Rusty. Re-painting it. What Color?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Black
71%
White
No votes
Blue
29%

Total votes: 7

doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Last edited by doughboyshredder on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

a.badner wrote: im 99.99% sure its not going to bend.
Based on what? Your intuition?

I'm 99.99% sure everyone who is giving advice here is basing it on experience and making the same or similar mistakes. Nobody is ragging on you here, this could be a safety concern. It would be a shame to put all that work into something only to have it fail on the first test.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

twizzstyle wrote:
a.badner wrote: im 99.99% sure its not going to bend.
.It would be a shame to put all that work into something only to have it fail on the first test.
Or worse, hurt you or someone else.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Lets see your center trussed supports to determine the level of span support.
DBS is a pro metal worker.
Everyone here has made a press and watched it bend to some degree.
Your shit is sub par regardless of the welding or not, from what we can see.

Did you see this kids serious deflection?
http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2478
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

iggyskier wrote:....
that enthusiastic
doughboyshredder

Last edited by doughboyshredder on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

doughboyshredder wrote: 1" thick steel doesn't mean squat. I can bend 1" thick steel by hand in the shop.
highly, highly doubt that.

and

You may have strengthened your press in ways we haven't seen yet and I'm sure you must have looked at this journal viewtopic.php?t=2472
i have looked at the journal. he used bolts to put it together.

montucky madman wrote:DBS is a pro metal worker.
who claims he can bend 1'' thick steel.
twizzstyle wrote:Based on what? Your intuition?

I'm 99.99% sure everyone who is giving advice here is basing it on experience and making the same or similar mistakes. Nobody is ragging on you here, this could be a safety concern. It would be a shame to put all that work into something only to have it fail on the first test.
this i can understand, but i'm still sure this isn't going to deflect MUCH! i know every press deflects some what but those angle irons on the side that every body is completely ragging on are to hold to the top of the press up. and i have not read one post which shows that their side supports deflect.

by the way.

3 one inch thick supports bolted with a 1/2 ich bolt and itghten with a torque gun. ( basically 3 gigantic oversized c-clamps)

im not using pins as shown in the other journal.

ill make some drawing for how the hose is going to be inflated.

i know some of you may or may not of had bad experiences with their presses, but i am confident with this.

btw,

take a look at this.

this has ONLY 2 ( 2 top and bottom ) 9' c-channel bars, which are bolted together.

my has 3 8.8mm thick 2'' x 4'' x 7' on top and 15 8.8 mm thick 2'' x 4 '' x 14'' on the bottom going vertically to spread force evenly in between them.

so my basic understanding of whats going on. all the force pushing against the bottom is divided by 15 and any pressure pushing against the top is divided by three.

go rag on "THE SKI BUILDERS" for their press, i think mine will equally preform with theirs.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

and take a look at this.

doughboyshredder

Last edited by doughboyshredder on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

doughboyshredder wrote:With that kind of attitude you're not going to get far in life.
or its the thing that will get me the further.

but you telling me that you can bend one inch steel by hand is complete bullshit.

and i do appreciate the help, but none can feel or see or how tangential the press really is.

and im sorry if you dont like it. because its not your design or for whatever reason.

the bottom line is, this is my project.

i will take advice. advice is like cash. accepted everywhere

criticism, on the other hand, is more like a punch to the face. if no one wants it, then why do it?
doughboyshredder

Last edited by doughboyshredder on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doughboyshredder

Last edited by doughboyshredder on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

doughboyshredder wrote: I am done arguing with you.
never said i was arguing. you were going on how i am so stupid and will never get anywhere.

never said you don't know anything about steel. i'm just saying that you cant bend a 14'' x 3'' x1'' piece of steel. not a 20'.

AND F.Y.I i dont have 1/4th'' walled 1 inch tube. but i do have a sheet-metal manufacturer near my house that i can buy off-cuts/scrap from for really small amounts of money.

and so far only people that have given me advice are twizz, richuk and desmond. and i really apreciate their help and i will further listen to them
doughboyshredder

Last edited by doughboyshredder on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

I’m not going to comment on your press. I do sincerely hope no one gets hurt, and I know the others here giving you advice feel the same way.

This, however, is worth a note:
a.badner wrote:
doughboyshredder wrote:With that kind of attitude you're not going to get far in life.
or its the thing that will get me the further.

[snip]

i will take advice. advice is like cash. accepted everywhere

criticism, on the other hand, is more like a punch to the face. if no one wants it, then why do it?
Constructive criticism is a valuable gift. Sometimes it’s hard to take, and how you take it is a reflection of yourself not of the one giving it to you.

A good friend clued me into The Three Assholes Rule a long time ago. It’s a really useful rule of self-reflection, with an inflammatory title/description that helps you remember it. It goes like this: if you go about your business over the course of a day or so and three times you find yourself thinking “man, that guy is a real asshole!”, then you need to stop and ask yourself seriously if in fact you are the one who is an asshole. It may take you years to successfully internalize this, but when you do you’ll be better off.

Good luck. I really do hope you end up with a great press and can build yourself some nice sticks.

Mike
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X